Scheduled for LASIK in two weeks, questions.

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Scheduled for LASIK in two weeks, questions.

Postby ketch » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:59 pm

Had my LASIK screening a week ago. They said I was -6.25 on left -5.00 on right with very little astigmatism. My scan showed corneas about 540 thick. They stated that I am at risk for regression due to my high level of nearsightedness. They said they would probably do regular flap LASIK. This clinic [] offers wavefront and EPI. I am scheduled for out of contacts on 7-18, workup on 7-25, and surgery on 7-30. I have always been told I have big pupils, but they didn’t act like it was a big deal. I’m 34, in fine health, and a pharmacist by profession. The clinic does 1 year free enhancements and after that charges a $500.00 “click fee”. Does this sound ok?

Post edited to remove clinic name.
ketch

Re: Scheduled for LASIK in two weeks, questions.

Postby JPD » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:48 am

ketch wrote:I have always been told I have big pupils, but they didn’t act like it was a big deal.

Well, it almost always certainly is a big deal. How many other places did you have consultations with? If none, I would suggesting getting a consultation with at least two other places before you decide which one to go to. I would also do a lot of research and make sure the other two consultations are from the "Best" Lasik doctors in your area. Price shouldn't even factor into the equation, the only thing that should matter is having the best doctor you can find do the surgery.
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:53 am

Big pupils is a relative term. If the size of the fully treated area of the cornea is equal to or larger than the size of your naturally dilated pupil, then your risk of night vision problems would not be elevated. You should read about Lasik and pupil size.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Followup

Postby ketch » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:49 pm

I will get a second opinion from a cornea MD I know. She has done lasik in the past.
ketch

Postby ketch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:51 am

After the final evaluation. The decision was made to go with EPI-LASIK, it is scheduled on 7/30. I guess time will tell how it goes. They told me they would NOT replace the flap. They just let it grow back in. They said recovery of 5 days.
ketch

Postby JPD » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:17 am

ketch wrote:They told me they would NOT replace the flap. They just let it grow back in.

It's PRK then. Still a good option though.
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:53 am

The flap to which they refer is a flap of the pliable outermost layer of cells on the cornea called the epithelium. If the epithelial flap is created by disrupting the cells with an alcohol solution, it is called LASEK. If the flap is only epithelium and is created with a microkeratome, it is called Epi-Lasik. With Lasik the flap is created in the deeper stromal layers of the cornea. The epithelial cells quickly reproduce, whereas the deeper stromal layer does not.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:15 am

LasikExpert wrote: If the flap is only epithelium and is created with a microkeratome, it is called Epi-Lasik

I thought it was only Epi-Lasik if they replaced the epithelium? If they remove it, regardless of what method, and don't put it back I thought that was PRK? Ketch stated is doctor will be removing the epithelium and will NOT be replacing it.
JPD

Postby ketch » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:37 am

They still called it "epi" but it does seem close to PRK. From what i can tell with PRK they scrub the epithelium away instead of cutting it off. At any rate I am getting ready mentally for the days after should they be a bit rough.

I am taking glucosamine/chondroitin 1500mg/day, vitamin C 1500mg/day, Flax Seed oil 2000mg/day. I am to start prednisone 40mg/day the day before the surgery. I have Vigamox (quinolone abx) and Nevanac (NSAID) drops for post-op, and prednisolone (steroid) drops just in case.

I have 2 kinds of preservative free lubricating drops. I dont know if one is going to be better than the other. They are: Refresh Plus (carboxymethylcellulose) and Tears Naturale (Dextran 70/hypromellose).
ketch

Postby ketch » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:23 am

It's 13 hours until surgery. I'm ready to start the recovery.
ketch

Postby ketch » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:12 am

I am not 80 hours post-opp everything is blury. I have computer at 800x600 and can barely read it. The second visit was today and they said i am progressing slowly and the center is not filled in yet. I'm still on all eye drops and oral prednisone, im going to start to taper the oral off. They said they wanted to keep the contacts in another 4 days. I guess that would be around 8 days.

Light sensitivity is alot better today also. I hope tommorow brings alot clearer vision. Today i could only read the third big line down.
ketch

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:28 am

Blurry vision at all distances is reasonably expected at this early stage after a surface ablation technique. You will probably notice things get better a couple of days after the meds end and the contact lenses come off.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ketch » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:35 am

Update: I am now 8 days out. My right eye seems almost perfect. My left is still a little blurry. I now can read the computer screen at 1280x1024. I drove this afternoon a bit. If my left eye clears up i bet i will be better than 20/20. Time will tell.

One thing i have learned. Epi-Lasik takes a long time to heal.
ketch

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:50 am

ketch wrote:One thing i have learned. Epi-Lasik takes a long time to heal.

Longer than Lasik, but all things are relative. You just had laser microsurgery on your eyes and no longer need glasses for one eye with the other coming a long. That does not seem too bad for eight days.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ketch » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:50 am

Update. Had 14 day post-op appt. Left is 20/30 still blurry near and far. They tried the "it clears with drops, doesn't it".... only thing is, it doesnt. It's blurry before and after drops. They still insist that its dry but i really dont think it could be.

My right eye is better than 20/20 but not quite 20/15. This makes for a pretty tough time reading with the difference between the two eyes.

They want to see me in another week. (3 weeks post op) for checkup. I really think I must have some healing left to go in this left eye. (they stated it looked "healed") I looked through some various old lenses we have around the house and nothing really clears up the left eye.
ketch

Next

Return to Thinking About It