Is "custom" lasik always the better option?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Is "custom" lasik always the better option?

Postby badchad » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:13 pm

I just went for my preop examination.

After the analysis, my Dr. recommended "standard" lasik, stating that "custom" lasik would provide little benefit to me, as I had small pupils and few, "higher aberrations".

However, I've been under the impression that generally speaking, "custom" lasik is always the better choice, even for those with few aberrations. Cost isn't a major issue, but if I won't receive any benefit, I might as well save the 1K and get "standard" lasik. I trust my Dr. especially because he recommended the cheaper option. So right now, I'm trying to decide between "standard" and "custom" lasik

Any opinions/advice on the subject?

The laser is the Bausch and Lomb Zyoptic.
badchad

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:28 am

"As a general rule" is exactly that; a general rule. There are always exceptions to general rules and it appears that you are one. Wavefront-guided ablation is not always the best option.

Your surgeon has the advantage of training, experience, having examined your eyes, and the ability to look at a wavefront analysis to determine if wavefront is required. It appears that in the opinion of your doctor, wavefront is not required.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It