how much overcorrection would it take to cause dizziness

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

how much overcorrection would it take to cause dizziness

Postby iamjoe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:35 pm

My doc said I am only .25 in one eye. I've been 'off' now for almost 5 weeks. I am now 4 months post lasik.

I woke up one morning 2 months post with the room spinning.

Has anyone had this type of experience?
Thanks
iamjoe

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:45 pm

What you describe may be related to your eyes, but not in the way you might think. Waking up with the room spinning is probably more about something happening with your inner ear than with your Lasik or residual refractive error, but they may not be totally separate.

The eye tearing system is connected to the sinus, which is connected with the ear canal, which is connected to the respiratory system. A problem with one can affect the others.

Lasik induced temporary dry eye can affect the inner ear, which affects balance. Inflammation, irritation, dehydration, even the eye drop meds can sometimes have an effect. Couple that with normal maladies such as a cold or allergies, and the vertigo you experienced may be able to be explained.

Discuss your situation with your general physician and your eye doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby iamjoe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:04 pm

Glenn, thanks for the reply. I've spoken to both my gp and my lasik doc. My gp feels that I have labryinthitis. My lasik doc feels that the slight overcorrection is not an issue.

What's odd to me is that my eyes and vision were fine for 2 months. My vision is still 20/15ish (the eye doc needs to get new 20/15 lines to read - i memorized the line).

Have you had much experience with inner ear issues?
Thanks
iamjoe

Return to Had It A While Ago