Poke in the eye and what do I say?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Poke in the eye and what do I say?

Postby aspenice » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:11 am

Last night while cleaning my eyelids and lashes I accidently bumped my eye with the corner of my thumb and my eye hurt really bad for quite some time and then went away. How would I know if I moved the flap or caused wrinkles? Why does the eye flap still hurt so badly when Lasik should be painless? My vision hasn't gotten worse from the poke but still is bad in general. I am headed to the doctor's this Friday for my questions.

I want to go into the office and really cry and scream. I blame myself as well for not going for 2nd and 3rd opinions plus researching all the eye surgery options but like my husband said, I can't go back and I am just getting myself all upset. How would you approach talking with the doctor and when is it time to get the right answers? I am still only learning the basics and have no idea which questions to ask or how to ask them. I will ask for my records.

Here are my concerns:

*Dry Eye
*Blurry vision
*Enhancement surgery-PRK and option
*Flap concerns-Sports:can I ever rub them again? i.e. so everytime I think I hurt my eye does this mean I have to have it checked? I will drive myself crazy

I really want to voice my opinion on how I think the service wasn't great but my husband said that isn't solving my concerns and issues. Do you think I should give my opinion? Fr example, I should have been told about all the options and the pros and cons.

Thanks to this website for helping.
aspenice

Re: Poke in the eye and what do I say?

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:17 pm

aspenice wrote:Last night while cleaning my eyelids and lashes I accidently bumped my eye with the corner of my thumb and my eye hurt really bad for quite some time and then went away. How would I know if I moved the flap or caused wrinkles?

The quality of your vision would likely have immediately degraded. There may or may not have been pain. Undoubtedly you have not damaged your Lasik flap, but your doctor's examination will determine that for sure. You may want to read about how the Lasik flap heals.

aspenice wrote:Why does the eye flap still hurt so badly when Lasik should be painless?

The sensitivity of our corneas are such that it would be virtually impossible to know if the source of pain or discomfort was the Lasik flap or another cause. You have focused on the flap, but the problem may be elsewhere.

Lasik is virtually painless for most, but everyone heals differently. Your wound response apparently is causing pain.

aspenice wrote:My vision hasn't gotten worse from the poke but still is bad in general.

Pain and poor vision are indications of dry eye and/or corneal edema. It appears from your previous posts that your doctor has diagnosed your cornea is not dry however your conjectiva is. This can cause pain and discomfort. You live in Sacramento where I live and our air quality has not been great of late, plus all the seasonal allergens.

Your doctor can check the quantity and quality of your tears and examine for obvious signs of inflammation.

aspenice wrote:How would you approach talking with the doctor and when is it time to get the right answers?

Bring your husband along and be very up-front with the doctor. You have problems you did not expect, are upset, and are a bit scared. Let the doctor examine you and listen to what is found. You are still relatively early in the healing stage, so don't be surprised if the recommendation is to be patient.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby aspenice » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:14 am

Thanks Glenn for you answers! Have my appt. tomorrow @ 10:30am.

Aspen :)
aspenice

Return to Had It A While Ago