Don't believe the hype!

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Don't believe the hype!

Postby bathory313 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:19 pm

There are a few anti-LASIK surgery sites out there, and reading them can make even the most courageous patient run for the door.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

These sites are fabrications, set up by attorneys whose specialty is suing LASIK doctors.

Go here to read the real truth:

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2007/2/emw505637.htm

There are many histrionic sites out there, but carefully read what they are saying, and how they are saying it. Some sites charge $24.95/year for a 'subscription' to their forums.

Yes, there are people who have had complications from LASIK, but if you believe these sites, nearly every person who has had the surgery has had nothing but dire consequences.

Anyone can post anything on the internet; it doesn't make it a fact. It's time that those type of money-making sites were exposed for what they really are.

Lies, and cashflow.
bathory313

Postby aspenice » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:15 am

Bathory,
Your post must have been for me to see today. I was up reading information on Lasik and made myself so upset that I couldn't sleep last night. I agree there is much trash on the internet but what about the research and people who have been hurt by Lasik? I know there is risk but what do I believe? I am so new to this and am scared about my results from Lasik aand then there are reports saying Lasik may not be safe, etc. There are even some sites that bash this site. ( Terrible, I say b/c this site has given me valuable information and hope)

What do you think? I am not debating but only asking your opinion. How do you get past all the negative info on Lasik and move on?

Thanks,
Aspen :)
aspenice

Postby bathory313 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 am

You simply have to educate yourself; then weigh the options. I researched the surgery for quite awhile, then asked the staff at the center many, many questions.

I think this site is an invaluable resource for all concerned. At one month post-op, I am happy with the results, and am experiencing the typical healing process. It is SO much easier when you have resources where you can learn from actual patients what they are going through, and can ask questions.

I had gotten to the point where even the 'micro-thin' lenses were heavy and thick. I honestly did NOT expect the great results I have even at this early phase!

I think the best resource is to be able to question people who have actually had the surgery; not charlatans who are portraying themselves as helpless 'victims' of surgery they never received. I'd trust the opinions of those on this forum; it is genuinely a great place to get answers!
bathory313

Postby kschueleraugsburg » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Greetings!
Very interesting to hear about your fears and also to hear someone else report about those "fear-factor" websites.

Allow me to provide some feedback, and please keep in mind that I am by no means an expert, have not had LASIK, I'm not a doctor, ....

I consider myself an educated consumer. I'm thinking about LASIK for quite some time now. First I was introduced to LASIK about 12 years ago (in Germany), by a very reputable eye doctor (also early year laser surgeon, and co-owner of a Laser-Practice in southern Germany). At that time, he just presented the option, did not push at all. I did not have the money back then, and also was not comfortable with the technology. Back then, LASIK was still a relatively new procedure, we did not know all-laser Lasik back then, etc.

Time went by, I live in the U.S. now. Need glasses all the time since early school years, at mid- to upper 30s now, I can see o.k. with glasses. My pescription is not very high but combined with astigmatism my uncorrected vision is very blurry.

I did a lot of research over the past few months. Went to three different eye doctors and laser centers (2 in the U.S., 1 in Germany). They all did a very comprehensive eye exam, and came up with very similar recommendations for treatment. They all said I was an excellent LASIK candidate, but all said they would also do PRK if I wanted to. They did recommend PRK as strongly, because of the longer recovery time.

I believe the eye doctors do it because as a patient you have to be pretty strong to go through the pain of PRK-recovery, and a person must be very comitted to do this. Maybe it also puts more stress on the surgeon, because he has to spend more time with the patient post-surgery, and patients need more support post-surgery if they had PRK.

Chances are, if you've been on this website for some time, have done thorough research and understand what is involved with the different aspects of laser vision correction, you will have a very good chance of an excellent outcome. BUT if you jump into this without getting second (or third) opinions, totally follow the "lifestyle hype" of some of the high-volume places that offer Lasik as a drive-by style of procedure, then you CAN potentially have substantial trouble. Not to say that high-volume places can't do good work. I'm sure based on volume they have a lot of experience, they can standardize (standardization often times is a good thing), they have no problem investing in new technology, etc. etc.
BUT they may be a little less thorough when screening candidates, educating candidates, and let's face it: YOU have to do YOUR research and YOU have to get a comfortable feel YOURSELF.

If you did your research, checked and double-checked the parameters of your particular eye situation (amount of myopia/hyperopia, astigmatism, topography, HOA, cornea thickness, PUPIL SIZE very important!, wavefront analysis, tear production tear break-down rate, ...). Then compare to the generally accepted ranges of safe treatment, and you see no red flags or borderline situations, THEN you may have better than average chances of a positive experience. This is not a guarantee, and you have to understand that. BUT if you went through the due-dilligence, don't be scared by the bash-websites (one with a very similar address than this one you are reading right now). Remember, bad news sells (like the TV-news shows), and positive news does not catch as much attention.

Hope someone reads this, sorry for the long post.
Just the 2 cents of someone who is still on the fence regarding LASIK vs PRK (at the moment leaning towards PRK, but need to figure out a time when to do it because I expect to be out of service for at least a week).

Gruß,
K
kschueleraugsburg

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:42 pm

Most certainly there are individuals who have had poor Lasik outcomes. Many visit here and we provide what assistance we can. A handful seem to have made it their life's obsession to scare anyone from Lasik...and worse.

I've become a person at which this handful of people who had a bad Lasik outcome have decided to direct their ire. Their attacks include lying about my financial history, insulting my wife, publishing my personal identity on their websites, defamation, trademark infringement, listing doctors we have not certified as recommended, harassing those who fund and govern our nonprofit organization, and often doing this while hiding behind false identities and multiple aliases.

Considering the work I do to advocate for Lasik patients and the nonprofit patient advocacy I founded, their acts seem to have no logic or reason. Even stranger is the fact that these people did not seek our information before surgery and did not use doctors certified by our organization, but you can't use logic and reason on illogical and unreasonable people.

The outrageous accusations, manipulations, half-truths, outright lies, false complaints, and attacks on me and others by these anti-Lasik zealots have caused them some serious trouble.

One had the FBI show up at his door investigating an alleged extortion attempt against his former surgeon. Another has the Attorney General investigating her for publicizing my personal identity including Social Security number on her website. Her employer is investigating how her access to federal secure computer systems was used to publish defamation on the Internet, and she uses so many aliases it is hard to keep up. Another has a permanent restraining order against him for threatening a Dallas Lasik doctor with physical violence (doctor not associated with USAEyes), he has been sued for defamation, lost, found in contempt of court and sentenced to jail (fled state), is in bankruptcy, cyber-pirated our organization's trademark domain, plus I'm personally suing him for defamation and invasion of privacy in California Superior Court.

The greater tragedy in these tactics is that the important message is lost in all the rhetoric. Lasik is surgery and all surgery has risks. The risk may be relatively small for most, but it can be dangerously elevated for others. A comprehensive evaluation from a competent surgeon can help identify if an individual is at an elevated risk for a poor outcome, but there are no guaratees with any surgery.

I agree with bathory313's "DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE", but don't ignore the mole hill of truth just because someone is screaming that it is a mountain.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Been looking up info on lasik

Postby UnforeseenOne » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:30 pm

While looking into the option of Lasik i decided to do some research and ran across an website that had some good information about Lasik with the side effects and risks involved with some pictures of what may happen if things did happen to go bad...just thought that i would share this link with everyone in case there were other people out there looking for the same type of info that i was....i still havent decided, but i hope that this helps people make the best decision for them.

http://www.xuxgxwx.blogspot.com Free lasik info
UnforeseenOne

Re: Been looking up info on lasik

Postby bathory313 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:06 pm

UnforeseenOne wrote:While looking into the option of Lasik i decided to do some research and ran across an website that had some good information about Lasik with the side effects and risks involved with some pictures of what may happen if things did happen to go bad...just thought that i would share this link with everyone in case there were other people out there looking for the same type of info that i was....i still havent decided, but i hope that this helps people make the best decision for them.

http://www.xuxgxwx.blogspot.com Free lasik info

Now, this is a site that presents things as they should be; without all the electronic screaming and running around.

The day before I had my procedure, my regular eye doctor was telling me of two 20-something gals who came to his office; they had gone to a different clinic than I did, and ended up with the corneal ectasia thing. He also went into great detail explaining corneal ectasia, and said that I was at high risk for it. He said, "It's a shame, two young girls, and they are now blind."

The cynical part of myself asks, "Was he really concerned for me, or was he trying to scare me out of the surgery, knowing that I'd no longer be coming in for glasses every year?" Not that my measly $5-600 a year supports their business, but, I'm just SAYING.
bathory313

Postby aspenice » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:08 am

Thanks for all your replies. You made me feel alot better when looking at Lasik objectively. I have my appointment tomorrow and now am writing down my concerns and questions. I am not looking at this appt. as I am going to be on the defensive but rather look at it for help. I do take part in being responsible b/c I should have gone for 2nd and 3rd opinions and researched more. I just can't believe I didn't but I can't beat myself up for it. As far as the negative lasik sites, I just can't bear reading them anymore b/c they serve me no justice.

Glenn, I am so sorry to hear all you have endured when you have given so much. It just goes to show you our world out there. Really, you all have really helped me in claming down and looking at this in another way. I am sure something else will freak me out but I know that I can come here for sound information and my question or opinion won't be judged but supported.

Much Thanks :D
aspenice

Return to Thinking About It