Lasik & The Eye

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik & The Eye

Postby DryEye » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:28 pm

How susceptible is one's eye post lasik vs before (contact lens/glasses)? They say one can swim and resume normal activities 1 month post op. Is the eye more vunerable vs before due to the cuts from the procedure or does it eventually become business as usual? I imagine the cuts on the eye work from outer to inner overtime? Recently, there has been some problems with contact lens users and infections - If you were to choose - is one better off with nothing in their eye (lasik)even if it does cause potential scarring initially and requires healing time. If you were to compare apples to apples in the above contact lens example who would be better off (if that is such a thing) and I imagine that one would know if they had eye infections (say from swimming in lake water or swimming pools) like some contact lens users have gotten.
Are there any benefits staying with contact lens' (12-16 hour day users) vs going with lasik?
Thanks!
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:54 pm

Once you have had Lasik you have always had Lasik. The eye is permanently changed and some of those changes increase vulnerability. The Lasik flap heals, but not like a cut on your arm. You may want to read about Lasik Flap Healing for more details.

The real question is probably not if the eye is different. The real question is if the eye is different in a detrimental way for an individual’s lifestyle. Risk and benefit are relative and a matter of opinion, but balance the relatively small additional risk of long-term problems after successful Lasik against the risk of continued use of wearing contact lenses or glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:19 pm

In all your research and studies - can lasik do any damage to any other part of the eye (pupil/iris reactions, retina, optic nerve) other than the cornea? If so, wouldn't it most likely be known immediately?

Any comments on the recent press of the 10 year lasik study follow-up and the contact lens usage articles vs lasik over the long term?
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:58 pm

DryEye wrote:In all your research and studies - can lasik do any damage to any other part of the eye (pupil/iris reactions, retina, optic nerve) other than the cornea? If so, wouldn't it most likely be known immediately?

I'm at a loss to come up with physical damage that would not be evident within the normal six month healing period. What you are asking about is trauma and trauma is normally evident very quickly.

DryEye wrote:Any comments on the recent press of the 10 year lasik study follow-up and the contact lens usage articles vs lasik over the long term?

The Ten-Year Lasik studies have simply affirmed what most people in the industry have known all along - Lasik is safe and effective by medical standards for the long term.

I believe the arguments that Lasik is safer than contacts have some validity, however more studies at multiple facilities with multiple doctors are needed. It is counterintuitive to suggest invasive surgery is inherently safer than properly worn and maintained contact lenses.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:20 pm

So, if worn properly over an entire lifetime, which requires discipline and other factors a contact lens eye should be fine and if lasik surgery is done correctly without errors it takes the discipline of contact lens wear out of the equation making it seem safer? That is as far as research has shown thus far.
Do you think that 20 or 30 years after lasik will have different research outcomes than the recent 10 year results?
Thanks
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm

It is difficult (and dangerous) to predict something with as many variables as surgery. What we can do is look back at Automated Lamellar Keratectotomy (ALK). Lasik is actually a revised combination of ALK and PRK. ALK has been around about five decades and has been shown to be stable. ALK is not nearly as predictable as Lasik and would not be used today, but the lamellar component is virtually identical to Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It