Thinking of correcting, leaning towards PRK

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Thinking of correcting, leaning towards PRK

Postby Jericho2550 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:52 pm

Hello everyone, this is an amazing site and has made my decision easier to make:

I have been considering correcting my vision for over 6 years. I'm leaning towards PRK for several reasons.

1. I live in a third world country and I generally don't like seeing doctors here for the reason that I don't trust them.

2. I have a crazy lifestyle, I scuba dive, snorkel without goggles, ride motorbikes, do some martial arts (haven't taken a hit to the eye yet), also parachute.

Now I'm leaning towards PRK because it seems like a less maintenance long term choice. I'm worried if I went with normal Lasik and something happens to the flap, I can't simply page a doctor and be in the clinic within minutes. So I want a type of correction where I don't have to worry about my eyes just as if I haven't had a procedure done.

I'm coming back to the United States for 2-3 Months, I would like to have my vision corrected during my stay. Is that enough time for me to have PRK done and to recover? I would like to go back to where I live and forget I had any procedure done to my eyes and continue my lifestyle and not be limited in anyway, at the moment, my contact lens box says my eyes are -3.0 left and -3.5 right, with this weakness, I would like to know how easy would it be to achieve 20/20 for someone in my case?

thanks so much :D
Jericho2550

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:14 pm

Thank you for the kind words about our website.

The first day you won't be seeing much. You should have "functional fuzzy" vision in about 2-3 days. At about a week you can perform most tasks, although vision is not quite clear. The clarity comes after 2-3 weeks for most people, sometimes more sometimes less. Being stateside for 2-3 months should be enough time for vision recovery, but you need to discuss any special circumstances with your surgeon.

Your refractive error is relatively low and is well within the treatable range for PRK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Jericho2550 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:39 pm

LasikExpert wrote:Thank you for the kind words about our website.

The first day you won't be seeing much. You should have "functional fuzzy" vision in about 2-3 days. At about a week you can perform most tasks, although vision is not quite clear. The clarity comes after 2-3 weeks for most people, sometimes more sometimes less. Being stateside for 2-3 months should be enough time for vision recovery, but you need to discuss any special circumstances with your surgeon.

Your refractive error is relatively low and is well within the treatable range for PRK.

thank you for your reply! I am prepared to take the pain and the recovery, I just wanna be free of contacts and glasses, I will schedule consultations at several centers. Everybody seems to talk about Lasik and I get the idea that most doctors seem to specialize in Lasik, PRK comes as a secondary thing doctors do. I would prefer I find doctors who are experts in PRK.

I will be staying in the Washington DC area. My 2 choices so far are:

TLC Vision (I guess this is where Tiger Woods got corrected)

http://www.tlcvision.com/centers/millennium/

The Lasik Vision Institute (My friend did Lasik here)

http://www.tlcvision.com/centers/millennium/

so would anyone have comments with these clinics, specifically with experience with PRK, any other recommendations in the area are greatly welcome!

Jericho2550

Postby Borderline » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:51 pm

All surgeons that do LASIK should also have PRK knowledge. PRK is often an only choice for some people that are not elligible for LASIK due to thin corneas.

The reason why everyone hears so much about LASIK is because it is much more patient friendly. The recovery time is less and there is virtually no pain.

Along with the two "chain" places you are going to set appointments with, I would also look on this sites list of doctors in that area. It is also a good idea to have an appointment set up with a surgeon that is not at a chain location. You can see all of your options that way.

When you set up your appointments keep in mind that dialation usually occurs. One place can not take accurate measurments if you went to a different place a day in advance. The appointments should be around four/five days apart.

Good Luck with everything!
Borderline

Return to Thinking About It