IOL & Pain

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby WaTeR » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:15 am

Hi Glenn,

Has you are aware, i have sent mails explaining my situation to Barbara [a patient advocate with Vision Surgery Rehab Network] and to the Doctor she forwared me. Now i'm still waiting for a reply from him and i am supose to sent him an image/scan from a card i have with the len's information.
Lately, has i told you already, i've been using just 1 drop for each 32 hours...48 hours. But a few days ago, i felt my eye much more unconfortable with somekind of tears and a bit red from the ouside part of the eye (ear's side). Once again i've called my surgeon and he told me to put more drops. And if it didnt solved it, i should call him again. The drops didnt work (anti-inflammatory drops), so i went to a health center and i've been seen by a regular doctor (not an ophtalmologist), and once again, nothing has been detected. I will arrange and appointment with an ophtalmologist well known on the community. As you can see, the boat is still the same.
WaTeR

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:18 am

How terribly frustrating for you. Please let us know what the second opinion doctor says.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WaTeR » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:50 am

Yesterday, i went to see an ophtalmologist who is very requested amoung the people. It took me three and a half week to get an appoitment with him! After i explained him the main reason why i needed to be seen and after he analised both eyes, he said the same thing as the others:

- Left eye (LASEK) is great!
- Right eye (IOL), despite the astigmatism that its still to be solved, is great! He even described as beeing excelent and, concerning my "problem", he says that there is no possible clinic reason to explain what i described. I tried to insist describing more and more details of my problems lately...but nothing! He checked about three times...! He mentioned that the cornea is fine and everyting else too! The size of the len is perfect, the position of it is perfect...ifs its like there was nothing there!
He did told me that i should had wait a few more years to perform this surgery, because the vision it self still could get worst, but i knew that since the start and that is not the problem.

Glenn, i think i've done you this question already, but can this reactions and pains have something to do with the fact that i still have 2.5 astigmatism?

Since there is no clininc explanation for this, what about if i perform the other surgery to solve the astigmatism? Yesterday i tried, with my right eye (iol) to see with the astigmatism fixed...So you should know what i mean (I've been told that with the astigmatism fixed, i would see something like...20% more!)

I'm really sorry to continue this conversation with no significant updates, but this is THE situation.

Thank you
WaTeR

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:12 am

These are the most frustrating kinds of complications; the ones for which there appears to be no answer. You made a reasonable decision based upon the available information, it appears that your surgeon did everything correctly, you have sought the advice and opinion of a qualified expert, but you still don't have a resolution. Aaarugh!

WaTeR wrote:Glenn, i think i've done you this question already, but can this reactions and pains have something to do with the fact that i still have 2.5 astigmatism?

This much astigmatism could most certain relate to eye strain, but we are in uncharted waters at this point. Whether or not it would do any good is difficult to predict. Your surgeon can tell you if surgery it is likely to cause any harm, however much of this should be able to be corrected with contact lenses. I recommend trying it with contacts first.

Another "experiment" you may want to discuss with your surgeon is using the cycloplegic drops that paralize the ciliary muscles. If you experience relif from the pain while the ciliary muscles are unable to move, then it would appear that eye strain related to attempted accommodation may be the problem. This test may have already been performed in your doctor's office.

WaTeR wrote:I'm really sorry to continue this conversation with no significant updates, but this is THE situation.

Do not apologize for using this forum to seek information, provide updates, or just express your frustration with the situation. Moral support for you is just as important as any factual information we may be able to provide. You have sympathetic ear here.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WaTeR » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:48 am

A short update on my situation: Since my last post until today, i havent used any type of drops...and i havent been feeling any pain or suffering from any kind of redness. Still, i already been in this situation but then the pain and redness came back.
WaTeR

Postby WaTeR » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:55 pm

2 months and counting
WaTeR

Postby WaTeR » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:23 pm

3 months without pain or redness.
WaTeR

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:07 am

This is incredibly good news. Yours was a most unusual case. I hope that the information and support you found here and at Vision Surgery Rehab Network was helpful.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WaTeR » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:39 am

To be honest, i didnt read the article not because i wasnt interested on it, but because i went too paranoid while living with the unexplained pain and redness. I wish i could be able to know the reasons why it happened for so long and then, with no reason/explanation it just stopped. Will it come back? Is there some reaction going on at the moment, even if im not feeling it? Why? How? Well, i dont know the answers and about 5 doctors dont know them aswell. I wont try to find out now, because i'm aware that i may lose my mind while trying. Lets just hope it wont come back.
Again, thank you for your cooperation during all this time
WaTeR

Postby WaTeR » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:10 am

6 months and very happy with it
WaTeR

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:24 am

Glad to hear it. A most unusual situation, but a happy ending.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WaTeR » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:23 am

1 year and 1 month. now i'm convinced :)
WaTeR

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm glad to hear that all has turned out well for you and the pain is gone, however it would have been advantageous if your doctors had been able to provide a diagnosis of the problem.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: IOL & Pain

Postby WaTeR » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 am

hope i didn't speak to soon..
a few days ago a kind of redness appeared on the same eye. i feel it itchy and kind of wet. no pain though
already got doctor's appointment next monday
everything was going so well...

*please change this topic to "Had a while ago" discussions. it would make more sense
WaTeR

Re: IOL & Pain

Postby WaTeR » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:59 am

I've been to the doctor.
Everything is perfect! Left eye is 100% and my right eye improved 30% of its vision since last time.
About the redness, he said it was Hyperemia and it could be many for many reasons, but he could not tell because nothing iss wrong with the eye. So he prescribed me some eyedrops (again, ELIPA)
Meanwhile, i done some research and i read something about Hyperemia beeing associated with Astigmatism. And i do have 2.5 on the right eye.
Anyway, i am planning to go to surgery next February to correct it. Doc said i was in perfect conditions for it.
Until then, would it make sense if i used sun glasses with the right len adapted to my astigmatism? Or should i just leave it like this?
WaTeR

PreviousNext

Return to Just Had It