Lasik scheduled 8/29...few questions

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik scheduled 8/29...few questions

Postby greeneyes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 am

I have never posted on a site like this before, but given the amount of my anxiety over my upcoming Lasik procedure, I thought it may be helpful to get some opinions. I have been to two different doctors and both have said that I am a candidate. Both use the Visx Customvue. My prescriptions is -6 in right eye and -5.75 in left. I was told at both places that I have large pupils, which is why they recommended the customvue. My corneas were 514 and 509.

I am concerned that my pupils are too large and my corneas too thin. I want to think that if two different places have told me that I am a candidate then I should trust them. I have been thinking about this for two years and have done a lot of research.

I am not scared of the procedure, just the outcome...if that makes any sense. I am just scared that something horrible will go wrong, even though both doctors seemed confident in good results.

Your opinions are appreciated!
greeneyes

Re: Lasik scheduled 8/29...few questions

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:48 am

greeneyes wrote:I have large pupils...

The Visx S4 CustomVue is limited to a 6.0mm optical treatment zone; smaller for astigmatism correction.

greeneyes wrote:I am concerned that my pupils are too large...

That is a reasonable concern. Read about Lasik night vision problem prediction for details on this issue.

greeneyes wrote:...and my corneas too thin.

Your doctors will be able to measure your corneal thickness and the laser system will calculate the amount of tissue to be removed. Whether or not your corneas are too thin for Lasik can be determined within a reasonable variable for margin of error. If you switched to a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik, the corneal thickness issue would not be an issue.

greeneyes wrote:I am not scared of the procedure, just the outcome...

You have your priorities perfectly correct.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It