had epi.lasik yesterday

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

had epi.lasik yesterday

Postby happy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:37 pm

I had yesterday epi-lasik and i´m very very happy because it was so easy. I was afraid about pain after surgery but i feel so good. I can see!

Before surgery my doctor suggested me Wavefront & Topoguided LASIK (Zeiss MEL80 flying spot laser) which suppose to be very good.
But I was afraid about cutting flap, so I still wanted epi-lasik (Wavefront & Topoguided Epi-K Zeiss MEL80 flying spot laser).
I hope I did right choice, for now I´m so glad I was able to do that :)

Is is possible my seeing will go worse? Doctor said that it might be not so good about 5 days but will recover after he will remove lenses. My eyes are great, I don´t feel any pain and I feel that I don´t need sunglasses.

(I had my surgery in a clinic Estonia (little country in Europe).)

I also want to thank your forum because it gave me the strenght to do the laser surgery 8)
happy

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:36 pm

I'm delighted to hear that your results have been so good thus far and that our website has been helpful.

In the process of Epi-Lasik the outermost layer of cells of the cornea, called the epithelium, is lifted by using a mechanical microkeratome and a blunt blade. The blade slides across the cornea pressing down on the stronger layers under the epithelium, lifting the epithelial cells as a sheet.

All cells of the epithelium are mortally wounded in the process, but they do not die immediately. While they are living the epithelium sheet is ideal as a bandage contact lens to reduce discomfort and speed vision recovery.

The problem that you will encounter is that all of these epithelium cells will need to be replaced. These are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, but it takes time to sort out which cells need to be replaced, when, and where. The process of the epithelium being replaced with new cells can be uneven. One area may progress more rapidly than another. Vision quality may fluctuate and even be quite poor during this healing process.

The entire process should be completed within a few weeks and depending upon your unique circumstances you may not have any problems at all, but don’t be surprised if you do. At about six weeks postop the epithelium should have been replaced, thickened, and smoothed. At that time your vision should be quite stable.

The one thing you can do to promote healing is keep your eyes moist with preservative-free artificial tears.

You may want to read about Epi-Lasik and Dry Eye Treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby happy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:56 am

Thank You for answering me.

Actually my vision got worse on 3rd day (just like doctor said) and my eyes were sensitive.
Yesterday my doctor removed lenses and promised that it only will do better. I am happy because I don´t have dry eyes. He gave me new eye drops, cream, ocutears and c-vitamine.

Thank You!
happy

Postby happy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:30 am

I just wanted to give some updates how I´m doing. I had a check up last week and doctor said that my vision and recovering is extremely good. I can see 120%, near and far. I don´t have halos. I still use eyedrops and ocutears.
He said that is good I picked epi-lasik (they also recommended me lasik).
happy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:08 pm

What you describe is very much how Epi-Lasik should heal. I'm delighted to hear of your excellent visual results...now go enjoy your freedom from glasses!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It