Reading Glasses After Lasik - Computer Too?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Reading Glasses After Lasik - Computer Too?

Postby GraceB » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:31 pm

I have excellent close up vision now and at age 55 do not need reading glasses. I have already been told that if I have lasik to correct my ability (or lack thereof) to see distance that I will then need reading glasses.

Does that mean that I would more than likely also need glasses for computer monitor viewing?

Anyone know what the maximum amount of valium they can give you for lasik surgery? I know - the biggest baby on the Forum! GraceB
GraceB

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:38 pm

Due to your specific circumstances, your mid-range vision for a computer screen and your near vision will both be directly affected by having Lasik to correct your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision.

To gain a better understanding of the effects of Lasik, wear fully correcting contact lenses for about a week. You will experience the real-world of "normal" vision with presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby maria22 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:41 pm

No valium needed....it really doesn't hurt :wink:
maria22

Postby GraceB » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:00 am

Thank you for your BRAVE reply! However I am totally pain phobic - I have to take medication just for dental work and have never even put drops in my eyes until my lasik evaluation!!!! So valium is definitely needed for me! Infact, I wish I could do it by IV sedation - but that does not seem to be an option anywhere......
GraceB

read my posts

Postby Judy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:31 pm

Dear Grace; I am in my 50's and had lasik a little over 3 weeks ago. I was able to read clearly, go about all tasks without glasses. I had gotten to the point I had to take my myopic glasses off to read, eat, do tasks and it was so annoying. I thought lasik surgery would help solve this problem. Now I have been thrown into sudden presbyopia and I have to tell you it has been a tough 3.5 weeks. Not only has my near range turned to crap but my midrange (3-10) feet has been blurry, yet is clearing. Imagine not being able to see clearly for about 20 feet out and you got it. I have anxiety because I cannot see upclose. It is too soon to get prescription glasses, so I am forced to rely on a series of over the counter readers from 1.50 to 2.50 to do everyday tasks. I cannot read unless I am in a very sunlit place as dimness makes fine reading difficult. Reading is my greatest joy and the loss of it has been difficult. I know once my eyes settle and I get better reading glasses it should be okay again. The thing that worries me is the dim light/strong light issue. Will I ever be able to read in bed at night with just my table lamp?

My advice to you is to be careful before proceeding and keep reading the journey of those of us going ahead of you. The Docs tell us older folk "You will need readers for reading and computer work" This is a lame statement. There is so much more to presbyopic eyes than reading and computer work. Having never had that problem, I had no idea of the concept of not seeing clearly up close. Shopping is a blurr now....walking into the bathroom and looking at the counter, everything is blurry...the kitchen work is blurry. I do not know how much of my sight will settle and will be returned to me.....but I would keep up with those of us trying to grasp a new way of living.....read my posts and those of the people who responded to me. Good Luck
Judy

Re: read my posts

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:05 am

Judy wrote:The thing that worries me is the dim light/strong light issue. Will I ever be able to read in bed at night with just my table lamp?

The optics of the eye create a greater depth of focus when the pupil constricts, such as in bright light. Additionally, if the outer edges of your cornea have a different refractive error than the center (see Lasik and pupil size), vision quality can be reduced. There are eye drops that can help reduce the size of your pupils, but more light is probably the best response for now. This is an issue to discuss with your doctor at the next exam.

Judy wrote:The Docs tell us older folk "You will need readers for reading and computer work" This is a lame statement.

The theory of "will need readers" is sometimes not the the same as the reality. I highly recommend those who are presbyopic and myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) - especially low myopia - wear contact lenses to simulate vision after Lasik and test drive needing reading glasses.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby yawny » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:50 am

What they don't tell you and you might not think of is that it is not only the reading that sudden presbyopia affects. You have trouble reading your watch, cell phone, putting on make up etc. I had monovision, and am really pleased, because the corrected eye is really worthless for close up tasks. You might want to consider this, but try it out with contacts first. I had this with my contacts for years, and it worked out well for me. I don't use glasses to read, but do have some for computer work only or night driving. Actually , I had a pair made that corrects the close up eye for far away, ( the one not done by laser) and corrects the one I had surgery for for close up, for when my eyes get tired, or for help driving at night, and that has worked well for me. Otherwise for the most part I don't need correction at all. Just my imput, hope it helps
yawny

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:34 am

Our article on monovision may be of interest.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It