UV rays - Bad for how long?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

UV rays - Bad for how long?

Postby sdfson » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:51 am

How long after the surgery are UV rays damaging? -- And is this only direct UV rays?

Thanks!
sdfson

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:15 am

UVA and UVB are pretty much always have the potential to be harmful to the eye. This is why for decades doctors have told people to wear UVA and UVB blocking sunglasses.

The most critical time after surgery is about the first 3-6 weeks, but seek the advice of your surgeon. Depending upon individual circumstances, it may be longer or even shorter.

Whether the light rays are direct from the source or reflected, they are equally harmful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sdfson » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:13 pm

I took the garbage out last evening at work. (I was outside about 15 minutes.) The sun was on the other side of the building, but it was fairly bright out still. I felt like my night vision was worse last night compared to the last 2 weeks. My surgery would be 3 weeks today.

Now, in your opinion, did I do any damage? Or is damage done by continually going out without sunglasses?
sdfson

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:01 pm

In my opinon 15 minutes of unprotected ambient daylight would not be have caused damage. The light would be indirect unless you happend to look up at the sun.

You will want to discuss this with your eye doctor when next you meet.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It