Having PRK tommorw? or not?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Having PRK tommorw? or not?

Postby arya6000 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:55 am

Hello

I'm supposed to have PRK tomorrow at 10 AM (Friday Aug 24), I was told that I'm a good candidate for Lasik but I chose to have PRK. My prescription was at -7.50 last year, and I'm not sure if it has moved or not but I will find out tomorrow before getting the surgery. How much change in the prescription is too much and should I cancel it if it has changed? I'm 19 right now and there is still a possibility of my vision getting worse. If my vision gets worse after surgery can I get another PRK in a couple years?
arya6000

Postby sere1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:44 am

Did they check your prescription at your screening appt? You should have found out (and discussed with your doc) whether or not your prescription had changed in the last couple of years. Most docs won't recommend surgery on someone who has eyes that are unstable (have changed in the past couple of years).
Have you gotten an opinion from more than one place? It's always a good idea to have your eyes checked twice (or thrice) and only cut/ablated once.

From what I've read, enhancements are possible after PRK.
sere1

Postby aspenice » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:23 am

Personally if it were me, I would wait. Just my 2 cents.
aspenice

Re: Having PRK tommorw? or not?

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:55 pm

arya6000 wrote:I was told that I'm a good candidate for Lasik but I chose to have PRK. My prescription was at -7.50 last year.

This is a relatively high prescription. During surgery, tissue is removed from your cornea to change your refractive error. The more refractive error, the more tissue needs to be removed. A significant amount of corneal tissue will need to be removed to resolve this much refractive error.

It is reasonable to expect regression of effect during the initial six month healing period. This may mean additional tissue will need to be removed with enhancement surgery.

Lasik and All-Laser Lasik start the removal under a flap of corneal tissue that is 100-160 microns thick. That means that no matter what your prescription, the untouched cornea will be 100-160 microns thinner if you have Lasik or All-Laser Lasik. The cornea must have at least 250 microns of untouched tissue to maintain stability - more is always better.

PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik remove tissue at the surface of the cornea, not under a Lasik flap. A surface ablation technique will provide more untouched corneal tissue, providing a greater margin for error and additional safety.

A limitation of PRK is corneal haze. If too much tissue is removed at a time, the wound response can cause the cornea to become cloudy. Recently doctors began applying Mitomycin C during surgery to change the wound response. This almost eliminates the probability of corneal haze.

The recovery from PRK and Lasik is very different, but I'll let you read our articles about these procedures for those details.

arya6000 wrote:How much change in the prescription is too much...

You are within the treatable range, however do expect some regression of effect with subsequent enhancement surgery, or deliberate overcorrection to accommodate expected regression.

arya6000 wrote:... and should I cancel it if it has changed?

You need to have a stable refractive error or you will be considering additional surgery in a few years.

arya6000 wrote:If my vision gets worse after surgery can I get another PRK in a couple years?

Each situation is different, but based upon the limited information you have provided it seems highly likely you would be able to have additional surgery later, especially if you do have PRK and not Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It