Custom veiw Lasik Overcorrection

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:16 pm

I'm glad to hear that your surgeon's attitude has changed. One should not dread visiting the doctor because of an inconsiderate personality.

Debridement of all corneal epithelial cells along with the flap lift and removal of epithelial ingrowth is an aggressive response to resolve the problem. It all but guarantees that there will be no reoccurrence of the ingrowth. For those who are interested, visit Epithelial Ingrowth.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

7 weeks post Debridement

Postby Rustystud » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:11 pm

My Vision has gotten just a little bit better. Still no where near the clarity of my right eye. It is neither as clear as my right eye using reading glasses or without at distant vision. My next follow-up visit is in December. I was told by the surgeon he was not going back under the flap again. My vision in my left eye is not as good as it was prior to the original surgery. The last apointment the surgeon was again very flipent. He made refrence to my wanting mono vision. I infatically stated in writing in the releases that I signed, stating "I did not want mono vision" . The more the surgeon speaks the farther he puts his foot in his mouth.
I am not optimistic with my prognosis I will make a couple of appointments with other consulting Lasik surgeons before I go back in December. I am even considering having a consulting surgeon go with me to my next apointment to make sure I understand what my surgeon is saying to be truthful. I have never personally been in a situation where I felt that my surgeon is less than forth coming. He maybe even telling me a straightout lie.

Knowing what I know now I would have never had the procedures done.

Rustystud
Rustystud

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Getting a second opinion is absolutely the right move. Your surgeon’s unequivocal statement that he will not go under the flap is a concern because if ingrowth progresses going under the flap may be necessary. Having a second doctor as a backup if needed is wise.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Had My second opinion Yesterday....

Postby Rustystud » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:39 pm

I went to an independent Surgeon yesterday who does Lasik. He and his staff and tested and examined my eyes. He was told what procedures I have had done but not who performed them.

My vision was not at question in my right eye as it is 20/15.

The vision in my left eye has improved from 20/40 to 20/25.

The consulting physician said my eye looked good, the flap looked good, no cells.

He said since my vision had gotten better in the last two weeks and appeared to continue to improve that I should wait 6-8 more months to see if an enhance ment may be necessary. He said any additional enhancement could be done external of the flap.

The consultant said because I had such great vision in my right eye it made the distortion in my left eye seem worse than it really is.

The consultant was a very good communicator. We had a good repoir. I may switch to him as my primary care eye physician.
I feel much better about my situation.
I have a follow up in December with my Lasik surgeon.
Rustystud
Rustystud

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:35 pm

It is good to hear of your progress and that you have good care. Keep us up to date.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Had 5 month follow up

Postby Rustystud » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Last week I had a 11 month follow up to my right eye and a 5 month follow-up for my left eye. My vision in my right eye still remains 20/15. My vision in my left eye has improved to and reamins at 20/25. My surgeon has planned another proceedure without relifting the flap. This procedure is called "AL" and is simular to the old RK procedure only it will be one small cut to correct the sitgmatism. The surgeon said the procedure has minimual risk and will correct my vision in my left eye to better than 20/20. The procedure is scheduled for February 2007 giving my left eye another 3 months to continue to heal. My surgeon was very professional and cordual at the last visit.

I had an independent consult done last month just to get a second opinion. The consulting surgeon did not know who my lasik surgeon was and was only given basic information. The consulting surgeon said there were no cells under the flap, the cornea was healing nicely. The consulting surgeon said that he could do an enhancement with out lifting the flap to correct the remaining error in my left vision. I am not sure if it was the same method of correction as planned by my lasik surgeon.
Rustystud
Rustystud

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:00 pm

The procedure being recommended by your doctor is undoubtedly Astigmatic Keratotomy (AK). AK is virtually the same as Radial Keratotomy (RK), except with fewer incisions and for the purpose of correcting astigmatism.

You may want to ask your second opinion doctor if AK would be an appropriate treatment.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

"AL" PROCEDURE

Postby Rustystud » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:15 pm

This procedure was explained as being only one cut 2mm in length.
not multiple cuts. The surgeon said it would have a minimum risk with almost guarenteed improvement.
Rustystud
Rustystud

24 hours post AK correction

Postby Rustystud » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Yesterday, I returned still with 20/30 vision in my left eye. 7 months post debridement, (3rd procedure). I had AK performed yesterday. My vision was 20/20 this am. It is expected to improve slightly as swelling goes away. I will say having 20/15 in one eye and 20/40 in the other is noticable. My stereo vision is much clearer today. My doctor could not have been nicer and more professional today. Keep the faith and give it time. I go back in 5 weeks. Will know more then if I got as good of correction as possible.

Rusystud
Rustystud

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:58 pm

It is good to hear that you are in trusted care. Indeed, keep the faith and expect the best. Let us know what the next exam reveals.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Three weeks Post last AK procedure..

Postby Rustystud » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:11 pm

Folks:

My vision is almost as good now in my left eye (20/20) as my right eye (20/15). I am right eye dominate. I can tell a sharpness improvement with both eyes open now versus weeks ago. I will say my right eye is still better than my left eye. I can read car license plates at 3-4 car lengths with either eyes. I am having some eye strain in my left eye when reading with 150 reading glasses. I have follow up appointment in 4 more weeks. I'll keep you posted. I have two rifle matches to shoot between now and then. That will be a telling event.
Rustystud
Rustystud

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:26 pm

It sounds like you continue to be on the mend and improve. Good luck at the match.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Marcella » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:54 am

Cheez Rustystud

I'm sure you don't visit this site any more but after reading all 24 posts I sure would like to know how it all ended. It was quite a fascinating saga.

Did your vision remain as it was at your last post?
Did you write that long letter to the Hospital CEO about your surgeon's manner?
I think a lot of us wanted to strangle him along with you.

Maybe you'll visit again after a follow-up exam and let us know.
Marcella

Go next Monday for 3 month post AK Procedure

Postby Rustystud » Mon May 07, 2007 9:27 pm

I had a post Custom View Lasik AK procedure done 3 months ago. I was told it may be fine or it may have to be tweaked a little more. My right eye is still 20/15. I would say my left eye is still between 20/20 and 20/30. Better but not as good as my right eye. I will get it tested on Monday May 14, 2007. This is a year and 5 months after the first procedure.

I want say I regret having the procedure done. I would say if I had it to do over, I would not have it done.

Marcella thanks for the thoughts. It has been an ordeal I would not wish on anybody.

Nat
Rustystud

Returned 3 months Post AK procedure

Postby Rustystud » Tue May 15, 2007 2:03 am

As stated that my left eye at my last visit was somewhere between 20/20 and 20/30 . Today I returned 3 months post Ak procedure. My vision was some where between 20/20 and 20/15 in my left eye. My right eye is still 20/15.

Mabe there is some gold at the end of the rainbow. I have an appointment to return the frst week of August for a 6 month follow-up.

Rustystud
Rustystud

PreviousNext

Return to Had It A While Ago