long term vision

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

long term vision

Postby integra15 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:01 pm

Are there any websites where you can get true information about how many people (by percent) are satisfied with their procedures?
Last edited by integra15 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
integra15

Re: Question about PRK and long term vision

Postby JPD » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:50 am

integra15 wrote:At first I was almost sure I wanted to get PRK. However after looking at the internet feedback on the surgery, I am getting scared away from it.
For example, if you type in "lasik forum" into Google, all you seem to get is websites of people complaining and warning you that it would be a terrible decision.

Ya, it's almost all complaints about lasik though, and not PRK. The majority of those horror sites are complete BS information created by people with a secret agenda other then helping inform people. Or they are some of the unfortunate people who had very incompatent doctors and they are placing the blame on Lasik and not the doctor. For whatever reason, they relentlessly target Lasik and occasionally PRK too. Probably because Lasik is much more popular then PRK. Most of the people who have had major side effects are those who had the surgery 8 to 12 years ago when the procedure and technology were in there infancy.

integra15 wrote:1. Are there any websites where you can get true information about how many people (by percent) are satisfied with their procedures?

I don't think you'll find a true accurate percentage anywhere for that information. Although Glenn could probably give you as close of an answer as you'll find.

integra15 wrote:I would like to know for example if you asked the question to 1000 patients "If you had to do it over again would you?" how many would say yes/no?

Again, I don't think you'll ever find an unbiased survey like that anywhere.

integra15 wrote:2. Are there any long term (10+ years) side effects of PRK?

Nothing that's know about yet. Excimer lasers have been used on the eye's for 20 years, and have been proven safe in that time. Your eye fully heals from the removal of the epithelium. I'm no expert, but the only possible long term problem I know regarding PRK, is extended use of the steroid drops(which is sometimes necessary with PRK) can cause glaucoma down the road. This is why you want to use the steroid drops only when absolutely necessary. This problem isn't very common though, so it's not something I would worry about too much.

integra15 wrote:3. Should I get only one eye done at a time?

For PRK I personally think that's a wise decision, but it's not mandatory.

integra15 wrote:4. What else should I insist on from the doctor?

Get multiple opinions, http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/doctor/loc ... doctor.htm (good place to look), and pick a doctor who provides a good answer to all of these questions. http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik- ... stions.htm
JPD

Thanks

Postby integra15 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:45 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply. I the way I am beginning to see lasik/prk feedbak is like this
-
If you did 100 surguries, 98 of them might be complete successes. However the 2 that were not might make the most noise about it, perhaps rightfully so.

If anyone sles would like to add feel free to do so.
integra15

Re: Thanks

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:40 pm

integra15 wrote:If you did 100 surguries, 98 of them might be complete successes. However the 2 that were not might make the most noise about it, perhaps rightfully so.

I think it is fair to say that everyone going in to surgery is expecting a good result. Not too many people will devote hours on the Internet talking about receiving what was expected.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Postby Mortimer » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:29 pm

LasikExpert wrote:I think it is fair to say that everyone going in to surgery is expecting a good result. Not too many people will devote hours on the Internet talking about receiving what was expected.

No one notices when things go right. :wink:

On a more serious note: it's been mentioned that LASIK has been around for about fifty years, but according to the Wikipedia article on the topic, LASEK (and I guess PRK) have only been around 1996.

Is there any worry that something unexpected may come up? I know that since there is no permanent change with PRK, and that the integrity of the cornea is less altered, does that mean that it could possible be easier to do further procedures in the case of PRK?

With LASIK you're more or less stuck with a permanent change, but is it fair to say that with PRK if further refinements are needed or wanted (or a new procedure is developed to further enhance things), then it would be easier to do things with PRK?

I'm currently thinking about having a procedure done, but haven't gone in to assess my eyes yet. I'm contemplating going to a regular eye doctor one more time, and just coasting on glasses for another year or two (covered by my work medical insurance). Wearing glasses doesn't really bother me, but it would simply be one less thing to worry about. So I'm just poking around for information. I have astigmatism, but don't remember off-hand my prescription.
Mortimer

Return to Thinking About It