epi-lasik- not so good results

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

epi-lasik- not so good results

Postby marion » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:20 am

I just read happy's posts and am having very different results. I had epi-lasik with monovision. The monvision eye healed quickly and I could read very small print up close within just a few days. It's been 6 weeks and its seems a little blurrier, but still very good.

The problem is my distance eye. I had epi-lasik 17 days ago. I couldn't see ANY distance the first few days. I was at 20/80 by the end of the week and 20/50 (a very blurry 20/50) at one week from surgery. The doctor said that was a normal result and I would notice gradual improvement over the next 3 or 4 weeks. It's now been another week and a half and my vision has not improved in the slightest. Each day I look at the same poster on my wall and watch the same news show and there is absolutely NO change.

Does this mean this is the best I'm going to get? Shouldn't it be getting a little better? I have an appointment in 2 weeks since he said it's too soon to tell and I suppose there is nothing to be done anyway. Good or bad, it has to finish healing before anything can be done.

And by the way, 20/50 is terrible vision. It sounds like it is close to ideal, but I can see clearly to about 6 feet. I can guess at things to about 10 feet. After that, it's just shapes.
marion

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:52 am

Epi-Lasik can have a delayed and irregular vision recovery. It is not unusual that after a few days or a week the vision quality drops and then slowly improves.

You doctor is correct that you cannot know this early what will be your final outcome. Although Epi-Lasik is heralded as faster vision recovery than PRK, that is not always the case. During the process all of the epithelial cells (outermost layer of the cornea) are mortally wounded. They are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, but with Epi-Lasik they need to deal with the old cells dying off to be replaced. This all takes time.

At your four week exam ask your doctor to provide a current prescription. This will indicate your current refractive error and in the process you will see how well your vision can be corrected. Expect your doctor to tell you to be patient for another four weeks after that.

Refractive surgery is often more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle. This is even truer with Epi-Lasik and its cousins PRK and LASEK. It is easier said than done, but be patient.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

no improvement?

Postby marion » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:30 pm

I expected it to improve slowly, but it's not even doing that. It hasn't changed at all in 10 days. Is it typical for vision to stay the same this long and then start to improve? Or does that fact that it has completely stopped changing mean this is it?

That's the worst part - not seeing any change at all. Not better, not worse, no haze - nothing.
marion

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:06 pm

It is not exactly common, but vision staying poor and then improving does occur. Your doctor's exam with a prescription will let you know if your vision has regressed or the target was missed. Then you will need to decide if you need corrective lenses or enhancement surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

one month

Postby marion » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:12 am

Well, I just had my 4 week exam on the right eye and no change. I'm 20/50, maybe 20/40.

I started at
R -6.25 / +1.25 /108
L -8.50 / +2.50 / 78

I'm now at
R -1.25 / +.50 / 72
L -2.25 / +.50 / 106

Now, obviously it's better but that's not much consolation when I don't have distance vision past 6 feet. I'm not worried about the left eye. That's the monovision eye and I'm reading up close at 20/20.

We did discuss a possible enhancement in several months and I have glasses in the meantime. Contacts weren't a choice with dry eyes before surgery and I'm even drier now. It's been very frustrating.

BUT, I just read a post on another board from someone who had epi-lasik and didn't see improvement until the two month mark and at three months is now 20/25. It really helps to hear from someone who actually had the experience of seeing no improvement for a long time. I hope I eventually have similar results.
marion

Return to Just Had It