Lasix for far-sighted people

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasix for far-sighted people

Postby centrevillevirginian » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:44 pm

Just wondered if anyone here in this forum has had lasik is farsighted. I mean extreme farsighted as in the +7.50 range.

I would love to have this believe me, but don't know with my extreme farsightedness if even the FDA has approved it yet for being this farsighted.

I was told years ago, after FDA approved it for farsightedness, the following.
1. That when I found a DR that said he could do the procedure on my eyes, to find out if he had done a minimum of 50 patients and to ask how many were 20/20 6 months out of the surgery, and to get references and talk to these patients.

Replies welcome.

mgk
centrevillevirginian

Re: Lasix for far-sighted people

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:13 am

centrevillevirginian wrote:I mean extreme farsighted as in the +7.50 range.

Wow.

I cannot see how any cornea-based vision correction surgery - including Lasik, All-Laser Lasik, PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik - could be an appropriate method of vision correction surgery. Even hyperopia of 3.00+ has mediocre results. The probability that you would have serious vision problems with Lasik for +7.50 is astronomically high, even if you could find a surgeon who would do it.

The two possible methods of vision correction surgery for such a high hyperopia would be a phakic intraocular lens (P-IOL) or Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE). Hyperopic P-IOLs are not approved in the US and do have physical limitations that would need to be evaluated for such high hyperopia.

RLE would be able to resolve this level of hyperopia with relative success. You would lose any ability to accommodate (change focus from distant to near) and would need reading glasses for near vision, but your distance vision would likely be very good. There are multifocal and accommodating intraocular lenses to consider, but each has its own set of limitations.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

lasik surgery for Farsightedness

Postby centrevillevirginian » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:57 pm

Thanks for replying. What you told me, is something I had been researching and found out. I knew about the inplantable lens and also about refracting the eyes for a certain refraction.

I been kind of keeping up on the topic of lasik for far-sightness since it was approved for this category in 2000. One day when I'm ole and gray and need catatract surgery then by that time it might be the time to consider that being done.

Until then, I'm blessed with contact lens. And believe me there isn't a whole of contract lens that I can wear either. None of the real tinted colors and of any use for me. I can only get the locatable tints, because there is still nothing for me in color lens. Currently I use the monovision technique and wear +9.50 (L Eye) and +8.00 (R eye) (Precision UV lens). I got glasses at age 2 and then got contacts in 1975 (my early 20's). This was just the first year that contacts had been approved for farsighted patients. Also in those days, I had to go to the Dr's office for an hour a day to learn how to insert and take out. So I had good training, and to this day, do not need or want a mirror with putting lens in.

Its been kind of fun to keep up on the research and I will continue to do that. Will continue to do so.
centrevillevirginian

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:30 pm

I'm glad to hear that you are not in a big hurry to jump into elective surgery. When you become fully presbyopic (need reading glasses) then RLE would be something to consider seriously.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

REading glasses.

Postby centrevillevirginian » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:14 pm

I already need reading glasses, that is the purpose for the monovision technique.

If I didn't have the +9.50 (L) and +8:00 in R, I would be using one of the several pairs of reading glasses I have around the house.
Monovision was something that the DR came up for me, and mentioned it to me after explaining this technique and what it does. This would eliminate the need for reading glasses.

So currently my need for reading glasses is very low. But I can tell you, without the type of lens I wear currently, or when I wear my actuview +8:00 (the highest they come in); then I'm running around with reading glasses. My actuview lens are my backups, when I run out of precision UV lens.
centrevillevirginian

Return to Thinking About It