Should I back out?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Should I back out?

Postby ellroy2 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 pm

I am officially confused and freaked out. I am scheduled to get surgery on Thursday morning. I started out wanting Lasik then switched to PRK. After talking to a tech on the phone at the office I'm scheduled with, I was assured that Lasik is safe and fine and that I shouldn't be concerned with flap problems for the rest of my life. They really recommend Lasik. But all I have done since my screening, however, is read stuff on the internet about how bad Lasik and other procedures are. I know that most of the people that have problems go to the internet and that the ones who don't have no reason to put their experiences out there. It also seems that all the positive information on the internet comes from the websites of Lasik centers.

I feel like I am pretty educated, but it seems that I am more confused because I have read too much now. I understand the whole issue with the flap and to what extent it heals and how no one really knows what can happen long term with it(say 10 or 20+ years). I think I am ok with that matter, but then I read about how some doctors have stopped doing Lasik and that Lasik will someday be done away with.

My big concern right now are risks such as dry eye, halos, bad night vision, etc. I know these are all things that seem to occur with every patient for atleast some time after Lasik. I have read that most of these problems go away within the first 6 months or so, but then I have read that there could be a high percentage of people that have to deal with atleast some problem long term. I guess what I am having a hard time with is how much of these problems come from bad screening, bad doctors, or procedures done before current technology, and what percent is just "bad luck" as far as the way everybody's eyes reacting differently. Also, most of the experiences I have read about seem to be people that are closer to the middle-age range and have a higher correction. I can't seem to find many that are closer to what my circumstances are:
I am a 25 Male. My perscription is currently
OD Sph -1.50/Cyl -0.25/Axis 130
OS Sph -1.50/Cyl -0.25/Axis 065

Also I know from my screening that my eyes seem to be healthy. My thickness is 562 microns in one eye and 572 in the other. I am right eye dominant. I don't know my pupil size(I think maybe somewhere in the 4mm area). I don't think that I have never had problems with dry eye. Of course it does feel really good to get out of my contacts when I do wear them

From my low perscription, I would conclude that I would be one of the better canidates. So is there anything to conclude that I would be less likely to have some long term bad effect, or is it all just a crap shoot? I'll also mention that the doctor I picked is really good. He actually came from the same institute that one of the leading doctors in the country came from(the doctor of this site from Kansas City Kansas).

If I do somehow develop a long term problem, then I don't know how I would be able to live. I really couldn't handle it. But on the other hand I HATE glasses. So at this point I am not sure if I will go through with it but I don't have very long at all to make the decision. Well thank you for letting me vent and I'll appreciate any comments that anyone has.

Sorry for the super long post.
ellroy2
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:12 am

Postby JPD » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:04 am

Lasik is a safe procedure, as long as it's done correctly. Which is why it's so critical to find the right doctor. So the technician is correct. However, if you want a surface ablation then get a surface ablation, don't let anyone talk you into something you don't want.

Lasik and the flap don't cause halo's and bad night vision. Cutting the flap will cause dry eye though. Don't think by getting a surface ablation, you're free and clear of the risk of halo's. There are a number of things which can cause halo's, and with the exception of dry eye(Lasik) these causes are common to both Lasik and surface ablations. The most recent long term studies have found that the long term results between Lasik and PRK to be virtually indentical, with a slight advantage going to PRK.

Yes, most of the lasik complications are from average to below average doctors. If you check the complication rate of the top 1% of Lasik doctors, they are much much lower then the average.

Most of the bad stuff you read on the internet is either "scare tactic" bullsh*t, or patients who had bad doctors. These are people who were most likely not even eligible candidates for lasik to begin with, but there bad doctor did the procedure anyway. They are living examples of why good doctors do such comprehensive evaluations and screenings before hand. Another reason so much of the bad stuff you read is about only Lasik is because it accounts for about 90-92% of all laser eye surgeries. Lasik is the "It" laser eye surgery. If PRK was king, undoubtedly you would reading PRK horror stories on the internet as well, even though it does have a lower complication rate on average. To draw an analogy, I also bet the vast majority of bad info on the internet also targets the Visx laser as being a huge pile of crap, right? I know it does because I've read much of it. However, it's funny that the Visx is the overwelmingly most popular laser out there, and accounts for a huge percentage of procedures done. It's also funny that all the top Lasik doctors in the country, if they don't use the Visx exclusively they have one in there arsenal of lasers. It's just internet BS, trying to bash the big kid on the block.

To answer your question about backing out. That's up to you. I will say that if the doctors office is trying to talk you into something you don't want, then you should definately consider backing out of the procedure at there establishment, and finding another well qualified doctor. You have many more options then this one place. If they are scaring you or making you uncomfortable, then find someone else. Find someone better. Here is a good starting point. http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/doctor/loc ... doctor.htm
But based on this statement you made
ellroy2 wrote:"If I do somehow develop a long term problem, then I don't know how I would be able to live. I really couldn't handle it."
I would have to say you should consider very strongly not having the procedure because no procedure is 100%, lasik or PRK. And if this is how you feel then I wouldn't suggest you take the risk.


ellroy2 wrote:I understand the whole issue with the flap and to what extent it heals and how no one really knows what can happen long term with it(say 10 or 20+ years).


That's not true. Corneal flaps have been around since the late 1950's, and long term data shows they are safe as long as they are performed correctly.

ellroy2 wrote:and that Lasik will someday be done away with.


Really? I'd like to know where you read that. Was it a legitimate medical site, or one of the "horror story" sites? It's very possible that Lasik will become less popular as the surface ablation technique become more perfected, but I very much doubt it will stop being performed altogether.
JPD
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:09 am
Location: Southern California

Here is some questions to be concerned about.

Postby centrevillevirginian » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:17 pm

I saw your msg about backing out.
Here is a suggestion. Go to one of the sterling optical or one of the eye-glass places around your area and ask them this.

How many patiients that have had Lasix come in here after surgery and need glasses, when they should not have had to get them. What is your opinion of Lasix.

Also get on the web and do some research.
centrevillevirginian
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Re: Here is some questions to be concerned about.

Postby JPD » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:25 pm

centrevillevirginian wrote:How many patiients that have had Lasix come in here after surgery and need glasses, when they should not have had to get them. What is your opinion of Lasix.


That won't mean anything unless they can also tell him how many people have had Lasik and NOT needed glasses afterwards.

centrevillevirginian wrote:Also get on the web and do some research.


He already did, as you probably read. That's also how he arrived here. He's freaked out because he stumbled onto all of the BS "horror sites". Those won't do anybody any good.
JPD
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:09 am
Location: Southern California

Lasik horror stories

Postby centrevillevirginian » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:48 am

Basically the way I see it, I would not even have this Lasik thing myself even if I could.
The person who wrote the msg, may have seen the horror stories. But look at this, every subject has its horror stories.

Myself I am too farsighted to even think about Lasik. And even if it were really available for me, I was told this by a center years ago.
My farsightness is like a +7.00 and 7.50; that extreme.
Started wearing glasses at age 2.

When I find a dr that can do my lasik surgery ask these questions.
1. How many of your patients are 20/20 6 months out of surgery
2. Do you have about 30 people that I can talk to about this.

Why, again, its because I'm extremely farsighted and right now, the only option is this: Lens inplanation and surgical correcting the eyes for a particular perscription. Thus I wouldn't need contacts and glasses anymore. But I have a little bit of stigmagitation +2.00 and that might not go away either.

So when I'm ole and grey and need cataract surgery, then I'll think about it.
centrevillevirginian
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:11 pm


Return to Thinking About It

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests