Lasek healing times

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasek healing times

Postby livelikeriley » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:18 am

I am getting all sorts of different information from various lasek websites/people who have had it etc. I am interested in Lasek surgery rather than Lasik since I awfully worried about that damn flap (a side question - I assume hard rubbing of your eyes, for example when waking would not dislodge the flap? How long in the recovery process of lasIk is that possible?) And the real question: in lasEk how long is it before most people have 20/20 vision...I've seen 1 week, I've seen 2-4 weeks, and I've seen 3 months...and what are you supposed to do if it is 1 month...If I need to go to work and can't see...well, that's a problem :)

Thanks,
Mark.
livelikeriley

Postby rjr3790 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:21 am

Hi Mark,

I just recently had LASEK one week ago and my vision has improved slightly. I can see 20/40 in my right and 20/50 in my left. The doctor told me the avarage time it takes to heal to achieve 20/20 vision is about 10-14 days. I will have to wait another week to see how it goes but i have also heard that some people take longer to heal such as 3-6 weeks. I am 21 years old so im confident my vision will be perfect in the next week or so.
rjr3790

Postby rjr3790 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:10 am

I don't know if you're the one who sent me a PM but it is disabled on this board so i was unable to see it. Shoot me an email if it was you. If not, just disregard this message.
rjr3790

Postby livelikeriley » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:40 am

Nope, wasn't me...and that is comforting to know as I'm 21 as well and figured - I'm young, hopefully my eyes will bounce back before these 40 year olds - ;)

I'm wondering what 20/40 looks like...I work retail (hence my age) and being blurry eyed would be a problem, can you get "interim" glasses...as I presume my old glasses would be too strong (I am -4.00 and -3.75) to wear after the surgery...I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face and just do LASIK for the quick turn around time, I'd rather take the time to heal and not have flap worries...but on the other hand, I can't be out of work for a month (I live in manhattan, and rent waits for no man) ;)

Thanks again for your help and personal stories in all of this :)

Mark.
livelikeriley

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:27 pm

LASEK creates a flap of the soft pliable epithelium layer of the cornea. Corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body. The process of LASEK mortally wounds the epithelial cells, but it takes time for the cells to die, be dispersed, and replaced by new cells. During that process, vision quality can fluctuate. If the LASEK flap were to be completely destroyed, then your surgery would just be regular PRK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lvziggy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:03 pm

Mark, can you have each eye done separately? I had PRK done one eye at a time so I really only missed work on the day of and the day after each surgery. I can tell you my poor old 47 year old eyes did pretty well. After each surgery my vision in the eye that was operated on was about 20/50, which is blurry but functional. The other eye saw 20/20, with a contact after the 1st eye and just my plain ole' eyes after the second one. That might be something for you to consider.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby livelikeriley » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:37 pm

Well my main concern is that I have a film shooting schedule in late October and I NEED to be able to see for that. I go in for my consultation on the 11th, and couldn't have the surgery until a week later or so. So I don't think the one eye at a time will work as regardless I need two functioning eyes for shooting. I might just have to put it off until after the film. I guess the doctor will be able to tell me better, but thanks to everyone for sharing your own healing times! :)

Mark.
livelikeriley

Postby qbizzle » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:35 am

Hi I'm thinking about doing PRK as opposed to Lasik, and I want to know what primarily is the reason for the recommendation that PRK is done one eye at a time? My vision is pretty bad at over -6.00, and I would think that it is impractical for me to do one eye at a time being that my original eye can't see anything to begin with, and I have never wore contact lenses before.

I'm currently unemployed and have ample time to sit around with if the issue is just real bad vision for a few weeks with PRK being done on both eyes, I want to know if there are other reasons, perhaps medically beneficial ones, for having PRK done one eye at a time.
qbizzle

Postby integra15 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:09 pm

The reason why one eye at a time is done is so you can have functional vision during the recovery process.
integra15

Postby lvziggy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:08 pm

q - I had PRK done one eye at a time only because I didn't want to have to take off a week or more from my job. Since you don't have that concern, as long as you don't mind not being able to see very well for a week or maybe even a little longer, I would think it would be better to get it over with in one visit. Have lots of CDs ready to keep you busy since you probably won't be able to watch TV or read for awhile.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Audiobooks are a great way to spend time with your eyes closed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

healing time

Postby jessicar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:49 pm

I had MonoVision Correction one week ago today, I see very blurry and was told that it might take up to 3 months to see clearly. I have not seen an improvement but I am going to give it another week before contacting them again.
jessicar

Postby qbizzle » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:38 pm

Well I had PRK done on both eyes last Tuesday on the recommendation of my surgeon (I was given the choice between PRK and IntraLase Lasik), and the recovery period hasn't been as brutal as I thought it would be. I faced minimal pain/irritation, maybe it was because of the medication/eye drops I was given, but it was definitely tolerable. I did stay home all week because vision wise, it was pretty cruddy during days 3-5, very blurry, especially up close. But it definitely is improving day by day, hour by hour.

I still will have bandage contact lenses in place though, and will have them removed tomorrow. I've heard/read that my vision will probably be blurry again immediately afterwards, but hopefully it recovers just as quickly as it has these past few days.

So far a success!!!
qbizzle

Return to Thinking About It