Presbyopia and Sclera Spacing Procedure

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Presbyopia and Sclera Spacing Procedure

Postby Bones » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:26 pm

Am scheduled for LASIK with Intralase and Monovision for Presybyopia with a tad of Hyperopia.

R +2.25 -0.75 X87
L +2.25 -0.75 X99

Right now I require progressives which I hate. Have not tried Monovision with contacts because I am told they really don't reproduce the LASIK experience in that contacts are more focal point then focal range.

In any case what has been your(readers) experience with Monovision.

Has anyone had SSP which is now in FDA phase III testing

It sounds like SSP allows for restoration of the natural lens ability to focuse ( ?? diopters )??

http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic729.htm

Thanks[url][/url]
Bones

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:16 pm

Surgical Reversal of Presbyopia (SRP) following the Schachar theory of accommodation is a great theory, but nothing screws up a perfectly good theory faster than reality, and the reality is someonewhat less than desired.

One of the most perplexing issues about SRP is that patients who have had surgery in their left eye claim to have better near vision in their right eye. If a change in accommodation is to be attributed to the surgery, then the surgery did not change the right eye. This is one of the many issues that keeps SRP unpredictable.

Whether or not monovision with contacts is exactly like monovision with Lasik is not the issue. Whether or not monovision is tolerable to you is what needs to be evaluated. As you can see in our article about monovision Lasik, we highly recommend that you try monovision in contacts before having it lasered into your eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Bones » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:19 pm

Thank you,

I did postpone the surgery and have an appointment for trial contacts for monovision.

Thanks for the great site.

LasikExpert wrote:Surgical Reversal of Presbyopia (SRP) following the Schachar theory of accommodation is a great theory, but nothing screws up a perfectly good theory faster than reality, and the reality is someonewhat less than desired.

One of the most perplexing issues about SRP is that patients who have had surgery in their left eye claim to have better near vision in their right eye. If a change in accommodation is to be attributed to the surgery, then the surgery did not change the right eye. This is one of the many issues that keeps SRP unpredictable.

Whether or not monovision with contacts is exactly like monovision with Lasik is not the issue. Whether or not monovision is tolerable to you is what needs to be evaluated. As you can see in our article about monovision Lasik, we highly recommend that you try monovision in contacts before having it lasered into your eyes.
Bones

Return to Thinking About It