Monovision Correction?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Monovision Correction?

Postby jessicar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:45 pm

Has anyone had the MonoVision Correction? If so, did you have vision complications? I had it one week ago today, I still see very blurry, cloudy and I can not see any letters or words on signs at night. Was told might take up to 3 months for see clear. Just wondering how does one in my situation function everyday? I'm now having problems at work and driving but was told there was nothing that can be done at this point, just to give it time. Any feed back that might ease my nervousness please. :cry:
jessicar

Re: Monovision Correction?

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:23 am

We have a detailed article on Lasik monovision and Lasik night visionthat you may want to read.

jessicar wrote:I had it one week ago...

It is much too early to make any judgement on monovision or your surgery.

jessicar wrote:I still see very blurry, cloudy and I can not see any letters or words on signs at night.

The first task would be to determine if the poor night vision is because of monovision. Your dominant eye should be fully corrected. When next you have problems, cover the near-vision eye. If the eye corrected for distance vision is still blurry, then the problem is not necessarily an adjustment to monovision issue.

jessicar wrote:Was told might take up to 3 months for see clear.

Most people seem to take about 3-6 weeks to know if monovision works for them. Your doctor saying it may take three months indicates to me that the issue is not just monovision.

jessicar wrote:I'm now having problems at work and driving...

Ask your doctor for your current eyeglass presciption and get a pair of inexpensive eyeglasses for driving, night, etc. Your vision will probably change over the next few months, so expect to need different lenses until your vision settles down.

Many people who are successful with monovsion have a pair of glasses that provide full distance correction for driving, especially at night.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jessicar » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:44 pm

Thank you Mr. Lasik Expert for you reply. I did purchase some glasses as instructed by the doctor, but they did not help any (tired 5 different ones). It seems that everyday the blurriness gets worse, but they said that for now there is nothing that can be done, just to give it time, but I'm so miserable and fustrated because everything in front of me near or far is blurry. I have made several mistakes at work and almost clipped a driver, I can not see letters or words on signs, people in front of me are blurred. I work in law enforement and feel as if I'm the one who is endangering citizens lives by simply driving. I guess I'll just try to hang on a bit longer.
jessicar

Postby marion » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Which procedure did you have? If you had PRK or Epi-lasik, you will be blurry at all distances for awhile.
marion

Postby jessicar » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:51 am

I had the Custom Visx Platnium, for now just being patient. Thanks.
jessicar

Postby yawny » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:50 pm

I had the monovision the end of January, and had some of your issues with driving at night and halos around lights etc. I got glasses which corrected my uncorrected eye for distance, and this really helped. I had an enhancement at 3 months for a lingering astigmatism, and that really helped enormously. I currently have 20/20 vision and sometimes even 20/15 depending on how tired my eyes are. Hang in there, it should get better with time. Currently I do not use the glasses for anything much, but they also correct the distance eye for close up so sometimes I need them at work for very close up detail stuff I have to do. I hope this reassures you.
yawny

Postby jessicar » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:59 am

Thanks your for your input in this. Does eases me a bit. I actually put on my old glasses today and I could see a bit better than I do without, but I was told I shouldn't do that because it will interfere with the healing process. Hmmm, I'm sure you know, it's just fustrating seeing everything blurry and yes worse at night. I have my 2 week post op on Monday the 10th, I hope it's all good maybe I'll get a prescription for glasses. Your positive feedback helps me some, thank you again.
jessicar

Postby WeepingWest » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:28 pm

I had Monovision 07/13/07 and had issues with blurriness also. That gets better however....... I was told same as you will read, that it takes time for your brain to decide if it is right for you. I still cannot understand why docs will put you through this without testing with contacts first. I knew right away if I would like it. My feeling is the same as in the beginning, this blended vision stinks ! My doc says it would not have been the same to treat me in contacts first. ok whatever.. Now I have a contact to get me through until I am able to get the undercorrected eye done again in January (6 mo). He says to me dont be stubborn and just ask to be corrected when the time comes. I am not sure why ANYONE would accept this vision if it is not right for them. I think he feels I am questioning his compentancy. All I want is to see ok, anyway.....
Hang in there the blurriness should pass, then on to see if you tolerate the undercorrection of that eye. hope it works out for you.
WeepingWest

Postby jessicar » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:05 pm

Thanks for reading my info and replying. So you're going on 2 months, now without the contact how bad is the blurriness? I swear that this is horrible. It's aweful waking up and you just want to reach for those glasses as you always have except that now you can't. Night driving is worse, a nightmare. Halo, starbursts, the blurriness is worse. I wish too that I had been told about trying out contacts prior to surgery, I found out about it through research, but my foolishness for not doing research prior to having it done. I'm tired of squinting and trying to focus to see what's coming towards me. Well I go back for my second post op on Monday morning. I pray and I pray so much that I will get some good news. Right now I feel as if this is the WORSE investment I've ever made. I wish and hope that your vision will get so much better quick and will you please keep me posted on your progression?
jessicar

Postby yawny » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:24 am

My doctor told me that wearing glasses to help with the far away stuff when I need it would not affect the healing process, so I am not sure that they told you the right thing about this. You need to be safe to drive at night, and that should take precedence anyway. I wouldn't wear the glasses all the time, but if you need to to drive etc, I certainly would do so. I don't know why the doctor is making someone wait a full six months to do an enhancement. I had mine done after three, which is the minimum they like to wait, and I couldn't be happier. I had had monovision in my contacts for years, so I was pretty sure I would not have a problem, but my doctor would not have let me try it without trying contacts first if I had not already done so. It is too bad that that didn't happen for you, but keep in mind that it is a process, and things should improve as your brain adapts. I still had some depth perception issues and murky areas at times for quite a while, and do sometimes now if my eyes are tired, but it continues to improve with time.
yawny

Postby jessicar » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:31 am

When did you have yours done? How long did it take for you see well? I go back on Monday, what kind of questions should I ask? When I went lask week I did mention how everything in front of me is blurry, I see halo and how some of the letters/words look double, but was told there is nothing that can be done right now to just give it time. It's been 14 days and I have not noticed a bit of improvement. Are you at 20/20 or close?
jessicar

Postby WeepingWest » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:23 pm

My blurriness did not start to go away until I was finished with some of the meds. I would say mine got better about 3-4 weeks. Then I started to notice the difference in the correction and I am now dealing with THAT blurriness (the blended vision)
I think my doc doesnt want to correct the other eye at 3-6 months because he still seems to think I will begin to like it. When I complained about the bluriness very early on he just basically brushed it off and kept saying to give it time, you will hear it over and over. Just keep telling yourself the same, I know its hard.....
WW
WeepingWest

Postby jessicar » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:52 pm

Today is 14 days since I've had it. No sign of good vision.....at all. I see worse now than when I had the need for glasses. Everyone tells me to give it time. I go Monday for my next post op, I will let you know what they have to say. I've never even met the doctor who performed the surgery. I only talk to the nurses. Well I was able to get out of driving at work since the surgery, but my supervisor said I must get behind the wheel and make my rounds throughout the city....at night. I feel as if I'm endangering citizens lives but maybe I'm over exaggerating, we'll see how I manage. I wonder how people who have had bad results feel about investing so much money into lasik to not wear glasses yet some still have to wear them sometimes? Right now, I hate it, it's like a nightmare but "In time, just have to give it time". Patiently waiting. Thnx WW.
jessicar

Postby yawny » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:13 am

To answer a couple of questions, I originally had the first surgery the end of January, and it took longer than two weeks for the swelling in the eyes to recede enough for good vision. It fluctuated constantly during the day, for at least 5-6 weeks or so. Then when the swelling went down and things were more stable, we noticed that I still had some astigmatism, causing the loss of some of the crisp vision, and difficulty reading road signs. I had and enhancement the end part of May. The enhancement wasn't really a big deal, and healed sooner with crisp vision right away with some fluctuation for about a week to ten days, and then since then constant improvement in depth perception. My vision now is between 20/15 and 20/20, depending on how tired my eyes are. I work in an environment that dries my eyes out some, so, I need to use drops when ever I can, and I am on the restasis, which has helped a lot. I would strongly recommend that you try to wear glasses to drive at night, in order to be safe, and for the safety of others on the road, until your vision improves enough, or you get an enhancement or something.
yawny

Postby jessicar » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:33 am

Thanks Yawny, this helps me alot. I will wear my glasses for night driving. I haven't been told or ever heard of Restasis, I will research and find out if it's something I can buy over the counter. Maybe that will help the healing process. I was given prescriptions for the Pred Forte and Zymar, I've been reading some of the posts and some individuals state that after stopping the drops they can see a bit better, is this true in your case?
jessicar

Next

Return to Just Had It