Lasik 1 month ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik 1 month ago

Postby erika » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:40 am

I had lasik about a month ago. Before the procedure for the past 13 years, both eyes were -6.00. I've worn contacts all the time for the past 20 years. I'm 36 years old. Since the procedure, my eyes have been extremely tired, sensitive to light, and see halos around light sources. I've read in other posts that this is a 6 month process, but when can I expect this to subside?

At the 1 month checkup, vision is Right -0.75,+0.25 and Left -1.00,+0.50. So now I also have astigmatism, which makes it difficult to even read the computer without straining. I have glasses again because when driving, it is difficult to determine which lane cars are in or to read signs.

At the 1 month checkup the doctor checked for inflammation and dry eyes and said that they looked fine. He gave me FML drops to use twice a day to possibly speed up the healing process. I don't believe the Pred Forte steroid drops they gave me the day of the procedure helped with any of those symptoms, so I haven't started using them. Do you think the drops would help?

He also recommended scheduling an enhancement surgery for 3 months after the previous surgery date. Is it a little premature for that? Also, the fact that I now have astigmatism is bothersome. In another post you said that the "creation of the flap and repositioning the flap can change refractive error even without the laser ablation. This is especially true with astigmatism." So could the astigmatism be the result of the creating and positioning of the flap? If so could just the repositioning of the flap during the enhancement procedure, change the astigmatism. Then the procedure would correct the myopia, still leave, but change, the astigmatism, and require me to still wear glasses all the time for astigmatism, which I never had until having Lasik?

Thanks for your help!
erika

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:55 pm

Now that the flap is created, whatever influences it had on your current astigmatism will not likely change by a lift and repositioning. This issue should not affect the outcome of enhancement surgery very much, if at all.

The small amount of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision and astigmatism could cause some, if not all, of the vision problems you mention. Do the halos subside when wearing glasses? Are your eyes less tired? Both should improve with correction of your refractive error using glasses or contact lenses. The vision you have with corrective lenses is the best vision you could expect after enhancement surgery.

Scheduling enhancement surgery in three months is not quite the same as doing it in three months. If there are lingering problems your doctor could reschedule the surgery. Enhancements are commonly performed between 3-6 months postop.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Enhancement after 3 months

Postby erika » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:45 pm

Thank you for your response!

It's now been 3 months. By 6 weeks after Lasik, my vision was -1.00, +0.50 in both eyes and has remained fairly stable. The astigmatism is in opposite directions. My eyes still get extremely tired, are sensitive to light, and see halos around light sources. The doctor believes that this is all related to the remaining myopia and astigmatism. Glasses correct the myopia and astigmatism, but not the other problems. So do you think they are caused from the remaining myopia and astigmatism, even though glasses don't correct the them?

I was scheduled for an enhancement 2 weeks ago, but I had a cold. The doctor recommended waiting, since it could effect the healing process. So now the enhancement is scheduled for Friday. Before Lasik, my eyes were -6.00. Afterward, they are -1.00,+0.50. Should I expect regression after the enhancement? Should the procedure target a slight overcorrection to compensate for regression, or with the lesser degree of myopia, will there not be any regression?

Thanks,
Erika
erika

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:53 pm

The amount of refractive error to correct with enhancement surgery is so small that it is not likely that you will experience any regression.

The residual myopia and astigmatism undoubtedly is contributing to your halo and other vision problems. Glasses can reduce them, but contact lenses tend to provide results more similar to what would be expected from Lasik or Lasik enhancement.

Let us know how it goes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It