Every day gets worse? (3 days)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Every day gets worse? (3 days)

Postby Homebru » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Custom Intralase from one of the big 3 on Thursday afternoon.

Surgery went great, no pain during or after. They did put a bandage contact on my left eye because the epithelium (sp?) had a build-up at the top or something. That was removed on day 2. I have followed the drops regimen to the letter.

Here's my regression:
18 hours post op = 20/25 (L) and 20/20 (R) - I was pretty happy with this!
42 hours post op = 20/40(L) and 20/40 (R)
Today I put up a Snelling scale and I'm seeing between 20/50 and 20/70.

Needless to say, I'm a bit worried. At this rate I'll be back to where I started in about a week, and totally blind in 2 weeks.

Is this normal for it to start good and get worse before it gets better?

I'll be patient if I need to, but I haven't read where anyone went good/bad/worse/better/good.

Also, is it bad to read or use the computer while I'm healing?

Thanks for your time and experience,
Chris
Homebru

Postby sdfson » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:32 am

I'm sorry to hear about this. I had Custom IntraLASIK 3 1/2 weeks ago. I had 20/15 the morning after (and I'm pretty sure for the next three days). And now I'm in and out of 20/20 to 20/30 (and sometimes I feel worse, but I'm not certain).

I wish I could get my 20/15 back!

I've just been told to wait. My doctor said that with Custom, it may take more time to heal, but will be better in the end (which could be 6 months or more).

I'm still having night vision problems.
sdfson

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:00 pm

Chris,

What is bad about using a computer is that we tend to not blink often enough to keep the eyes lubricated and this contributes to dry eye problems. Also, if your focus is off, your eyes will be constantly focusing to see the screen. This can causes aching sore eyes, headaches, and similar problems. If with your current vision you can see the screen clearly, you should be fine as long as you take scheduled breaks to keep your eyes closed for a few seconds, and use preservative-free artificial tears.

The epithelium damage can cause vision to do exactly what you describe – go from good to worse and then back to good. The only way you will know is after enough time has passed. You will need to be patient.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Button1 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:22 pm

sdfson wrote:I'm sorry to hear about this. I had Custom IntraLASIK 3 1/2 weeks ago. I had 20/15 the morning after (and I'm pretty sure for the next three days). And now I'm in and out of 20/20 to 20/30 (and sometimes I feel worse, but I'm not certain).

I wish I could get my 20/15 back!

I've just been told to wait. My doctor said that with Custom, it may take more time to heal, but will be better in the end (which could be 6 months or more).

I'm still having night vision problems.

I also had the Custom IntraLASIK about two weeks ago. I am currently 20/15 (was 20/20 the day after) and hope it will stay that way!! But I am also having halos, ghosting and starbursting at night. Is it true that with Custom, healing takes longer?? I am just in a total panic this is going to be permanent....
Button1

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:05 pm

The difference in healing time between conventional laser ablation and custom wavefront laser ablation is the same. There really is no healing difference because of the mapping system used.

The difference between Lasik and IntraLasik can be significant. Depending on a number of circumstances, the IntraLasik interface may take a bit longer to lay down tightly and provide the best possible vision, plus there can be inflammation related to IntraLasik that also takes some time to resolve.

Discuss these concerns with your doctor and be patient. The last one is easier said than done. 8^)
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It