6 weeks progress

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

6 weeks progress

Postby Judy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi all, I had custom wavefront lasik on 27 July 07. First 4 weeks were terrifying as I was blurry near and midrange. I was thrown into sudden presbyopia which has been very hard to cope with. At one week checkup I was around 20/40 for far vision. Barely legal to drive. So pretty much not good anywhere

Somewhere around the 4 week mark, things improved. My checkup found I had improved to a little better than 20/30. My midrange cleared considerably. I could begin to read print on the TV screen, i.e. the TV guide or banners running below CNN. Peoples faces became less blurry.

5 week mark, a bit more improvement in midrange. My near vision improved from needing 2.5 readers to 2.0 readers. I use 1.5 readers for kitchen work.

I am now at week 6. Not much vision change. The thing I am noticing is my eyes are not as dry. I do not feel so much like a dry contact lense is in my eye. I have forsaken the refresh drops for similasan drops as they do not sting as much. I do use flax seed oil about every other day. I also use one tablet of zinc to aid in healing. My eyes still feel tired at the end of the day but not as sore. I also cannot sit and read for hours at a time but I have actually managed to read my book for book club next week. This is a big deal to me as I read about 3 books a week preop and worried I would never be able to read for any length of time again. I still have to read in a very well-lit area.

At night I do see halos around outside lights. My neighbors have candles in their windows and I check them each night to see if the halos are still there. I believe they will fade with time. The rest of my night vision seems adequate.

I am adjusting to the loss of near sight as best as I can. This is still difficult but I know I must, so I am coping. I have readers scattered about and its just odd to have to pick something up so I can read a recipe or a label. I always had to take my glasses off to read in the past, so its just a reverse procedure to relearn. 90% of the time I am glasses free. This is rather liberating. Once I get accustomed to sudden presbyopia, I will have this thing licked.

My next appointment is Sept 18th, and my doc was already talking enhancement because she said I am a bit overcorrected. I really dont understand what that means. I have read the definition but it still alludes me. I don't really get refractive, plano, etc. I read the definitions and try to get them to make sense but they dont. Sorry Glen. I think I want to be plano....I don't know. I also still have a bit of astigmatism.

All in all, things are progressing and there are moments, not hours when I forget I had surgery. I am looking forward to it becoming hours and eventually days. That is when I know I am healed. Thanks all for your magnificent support over the last 6 weeks and I will report in again after the 18th.
Judy

Re: 6 weeks progress

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:58 am

Judy wrote: 90% of the time I am glasses free. This is rather liberating.

That is a very good outcome for someone who needed reading glasses before surgery. As you said, it is a matter of putting on glasses at times when you previously took them off.

Judy wrote:I really dont understand what that means. I have read the definition but it still alludes me. I don't really get refractive, plano, etc.

There are three primary states of refractive error: myopia (nearsighted), plano (normal vision), and hyperopia (farsighted). If you are nearsighted, light entering the eye focuses in front of the retina. If you are plano, light focuses at the retina. If you are hyperopic, light focuses at a point behind the retina. Glasses and contact lenses change the way light bends (refraction) so people who are myopic or hyperopic have corrected vision that is plano.

Myopia generally means you can see things near just fine, but objects at a distance are blurred. You were myopic before surgery. That is why you could remove your glasses and then see near objects.

Since you were myopic before surgery and are overcorrected, then you are now hyperopic. You are on the other side of plano.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

one more question Glen

Postby Judy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:16 am

Glen, if I am now farsighted. Why am I only 20/30? This is where I get confused. Also, if I am corrected to Plano, will I become more presbyopic? Thanks
Judy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:48 pm

The Snellen 20/whatever visual acuity test does not determine if the reason you can't see the fine print is because of myopia or hyperopia. It only measures how well you can see well-known black letters with sharp edges on a white background in a controlled environment. Many conditions can cause visual acuity to be poor, including a small amount of hyperopia.

Your presbyopia - the amount your natural crystilline lens within the eye can change focus - will be the same whether you are plano, hyperopic, or myopic. What will change is your range of vision. If you are myopic you will be able to see objects near, but at the cost of poor distance vision. If you are myopic you will need reading glasses less because your eyes are focused for near objects, but you will need distance glasses more because your distance vision will be poor. If you are plano you will see distant objects well, but you will need reading glasses to see anything within arm's distance.

The combination of hyperopia and presbyopia tends to provide poor vision quality at all distances. This is one of the reasons your vision is not so good with even a small amount of hyperopia. Reading glasses are actually glasses to correct hyperopia. My bet is that with very low powered reading glasses your distance vision improves. With more powerful reading glasses your near vision improves, but your distance vision become worse.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby greeneyes64 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:06 pm

I have just had monovsion lasik done and everything is so blurred and hazy. When does this go away and could this be due to over- correction?
This is interferring with my work, i do not feel safe to drive and etc....
greeneyes64

Hi Greeneyes

Postby Judy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:41 pm

When did you have your surgery done? If you are in the early days, as in the first 3-4 weeks you will notice most of us had blurry, scary vision. Since you have monovision, you have the added complication of your brain has to adjust to one far vision eye and one near vision eye.

There are a lot of good posts on here about folks who had monovision. Some lucky ones adjust right away, and some take a while.

Keep track of the specifics and Glen can answer you and help you feel assured that you are not the only one out there with these problems.

Does your eye that is corrected for far vision see well when you cover your other eye? If so, that is a good thing...and it might mean the brain connection has not popped in yet.

Keep posting and reading....go back through the archives and read.....jot down your questions and ask and someone will always answer. This board has saved my sanity and I know it will yours. Much good luck in the days ahead......we have a lot to go through on the road to wellness...and lots of little things cause problems.....overcorrection, undercorrection, dry eye, pupil size...on and on......Glen likes to tell us this is a 6-month journey not an instant fix. We are all pulling for you green eyes......keep posting and sharing.....J
Judy

thanks Glen

Postby Judy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:45 pm

Thanks Glen,

(Reading glasses are actually glasses to correct hyperopia)

I had no idea reading glasses are to correct hyperopia. As a layman, there is a lot I did not know. I tried mild readers to look far out.....nope they blurred things from midrange outward to far range. They do well for close up only.

Thanks for the update, I so appreciate your explanations. You really reassure me. Knowledge is the best road to understanding. Thanks Glen.
Judy

Re: Hi Greeneyes

Postby greeneyes64 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:05 pm

Judy wrote:When did you have your surgery done? If you are in the early days, as in the first 3-4 weeks you will notice most of us had blurry, scary vision. Since you have monovision, you have the added complication of your brain has to adjust to one far vision eye and one near vision eye.

There are a lot of good posts on here about folks who had monovision. Some lucky ones adjust right away, and some take a while.

Keep track of the specifics and Glen can answer you and help you feel assured that you are not the only one out there with these problems.

Does your eye that is corrected for far vision see well when you cover your other eye? If so, that is a good thing...and it might mean the brain connection has not popped in yet.

Keep posting and reading....go back through the archives and read.....jot down your questions and ask and someone will always answer. This board has saved my sanity and I know it will yours. Much good luck in the days ahead......we have a lot to go through on the road to wellness...and lots of little things cause problems.....overcorrection, undercorrection, dry eye, pupil size...on and on......Glen likes to tell us this is a 6-month journey not an instant fix. We are all pulling for you green eyes......keep posting and sharing.....J

Has been around 3 weeks and nothing has changed, been to follow ups and they say eye is healing ok but yet I have all this blurred/foggy/hazy/etc...vision
In my job I cannot afford to make mistakes and have been making them left and right! I am in an important position that this is not acceptable by any means!
I did not have one eye that was made for distance as I seen great at a distance w/both eyes, they took one eye and made it so I could see up close but yet when I cover the good eye, everything is blurred up close,mid range and distance.
I am thinking this was the worst investment I ever made.... :(
greeneyes64

good luck

Postby Judy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:23 am

Hi Greeneyes. Did you try monovison with a contact before this surgery? Ask you surgeon if getting a contact to clear your corrected eye might help during the interim. I am so sorry this is happening to you. It took me about 4-5 weeks to clear out enough to see midrange. I am in sudden presbyopia, so must use readers. This whole monovison thing seems to work for some and not for others. Glen recommends trying it out with a contact first before going under the laser as there seems to be no predictor of who will do well with it. There is a strong mind/eye connection that must take place for it to succeed. My cousin had it done a few years ago and she was great the next day. Are you blurry just close up? Might need a pair of readers to help our during the transition. Gosh, isn't this healing process scary and unpredictable. Good luck and keep us posted how it is going.
Judy

Postby greeneyes64 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:12 pm

Yes, it is very scary and I am so frustrated right now its not funny!
I am to a very low point right now as I was a very active person always doing something and now I cannot see well enough to do things!
Just not sure what to do and seems no one, dr's and no one have any answers for me....
Hope the rest of you get better soon as for me, I am over it...
greeneyes64

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:25 pm

greeneyes64 wrote:Just not sure what to do and seems no one, dr's and no one have any answers for me....

If the problem is refractive error (monovision or a missed target), then get a pair of glasses made while your eyes settle down.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

wondering

Postby Judy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:31 pm

Greeneyes, you said you saw great at far vision and they took one eye and made it for near vision.......if in a few months there is no clearing, can they redo the eye and put it back for far vision and then you would just have to get reading glasses......? I can really feel your upsetment through your posts and having felt the same way.....those first four hell weeks......I just wish there was something I could say to help. I do think you are early in your recovery and things change daily. After I made the decision to calm down and not be so frightened I began making strides forward with my vision.

This is an odd story to relate but you might get something out of it. A week after my surgery when I was in the throes of desperation and Mrs Magooism....I had to travel from Philly to Myrtle Beach, SC....to take care of my dad. (I go one week out of each month) When I arrived at the airport, I had a terrible time negotiating my way. Getting the e-ticket, was difficult as I could not see well enough to read the instructions.....walking through the blurry hallways, through security....all nightmarish. Trying to read the tote board as to when the flights were leaving, etc.....not good.

I remember sitting at the gate in tears and praying to God to please heal my eyes and restore my vision. I felt like every kind of fool for going for a surgery that had destroyed me. Pretty low moment. I had not been warned by my Doc that this was going to happen, so it was all a total surprise. I had seen so many people get it and the next day they were all so thrilled with their 20/20 wonderful, clear vision. Naturally, I was not expecting to be Mrs. Magoo........I was also not ready for the onset of sudden onset presbyopia....still struggling with that issue.

They called our flight, on-board a nice young man sitting next to me told me about his sister who had lasik and it had taken 2 months to clear out and she had to have enhancement but at this point in time was doing wonderful and the surgery had improved her life dramatically. He reassured me that what I was going through was normal for a lot of people.

We landed at Charlotte and I felt somewhat reassured that maybe this would improve with time and I would once again feel normal. I was still talking to God as I raced from one Concourse to another to make my plane to Myrtle Beach. I made it, almost the last passenger.....I sat down and breathed a sigh of relief. Down the aisle, came the last passenger.....being led by a airline employee.....a gorgeous black man who looked like a movie star.....he was seated directly across from me in the aisle seat. He folded his white cane up and began talking to the young boy in the middle seat. They were soon laughing and enjoying the trip. I sat back in my seat and closed my eyes, I thanked the Universe for sending me visual as well as human examples of lessons I needed to learn.

I believe you are going to do well Greeneyes and have your life back. You may need further surgery, you may need some kind of glasses or contacts, or perhaps time will bring your vision to where it needs to be.

Good luck, and BELIEVE!
Judy

Postby greeneyes64 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Well, here I am and still having same issues as stated above....
These guys at the lasik center are telling me they cannot do a thing until next year - about may or june! BS.......I know that within 3 months something can be done, this is crazy and no one listens......
greeneyes64

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:55 am

I'n not going to stick up for your Lasik clinic, but there are situations where the best thing to do is nothing...at least for a while.

Let's get a better idea exactly where you are. Are you able to see distant objects well with one eye or the other? Are you able to see near objects well with one eye or the other? What is your current eye prescription? Is the quality of your vision better in low light environments? To what has your doctor attributed your difficulties.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago