Considering Intralase Custom Lasik but have 7mm pupils.

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Considering Intralase Custom Lasik but have 7mm pupils.

Postby Illinijay » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:53 pm

I'm considering intralase custom lasik but have 7mm pupils. The doctor told me that people who have "larger than average" pupil size are more likely to experience long-term glare or halos after the surgery. He wasn't really clear on how much more likely. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation. Thanks.
Illinijay

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 am

We have a detailed article about Lasik and pupil size issues that you may want to read.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

question

Postby komobu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:35 pm

I read the article and it still makes me wonder. If you have 7mm pupils what can be done to make the best chance for no starbursts halos, etc...
What if any lasers use a larger zone?
Would custom help?
Are there any lasers to avoid?
Any other information?

To the original poster, how were your pupils measured?
komobu

Re: question

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:04 pm

komobu wrote:What if any lasers use a larger zone?

If the fully corrected optical treatment zone is equal to or larger than the naturally dilated pupils, then the risk of night vision problems is not elevated.

komobu wrote:Would custom help?

Unfortunately, wavefront-guided custom laser ablations are limited to 6.5mm and smaller.

komobu wrote:Are there any lasers to avoid?

Any laser that is not able to provide adequate treatment size.

An important issue in this situation is the patient's eye prescription. If the refractive error is myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) and low, then the probability of night vision problems even with large pupils is not so great. If the refractive error is hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted), then the probability of night vision problems may not be affected by pupil size at all.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It