Ghosting in one eye

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Ghosting in one eye

Postby Mr_Kravitz » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:46 pm

Had custom vue lasik 2/1/07 with good results in left eye. The right eye (dominant eye) has been 20/40 ever since (acuity seems good, but I see slightly double in it). At the 6 month check the doctor said I'm a borderline candidate for enhancement in that eye and I should consider another custom vue lasik or CK!! Isn't CK for farsightedness?? Have I been over-corrected or is the ghosting something an enhancement can get rid of with lasik?
Mr_Kravitz

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:41 am

Ghosting after lasik is commonly caused by residual or induced astigmatism. If your ghosting is due to astigmatism it should be able to be fully resolved with lenses (which is better, one or two?).

Conductive Keratoplasty (CK) can reduce astigmatism if the treatment spots are applied only in the affected area and not all the way around the cornea.

Lasik astigmatism correction is limited by a coupling effect due to the physics of laser vision correction surgery. For every 1.00 diopter of astigmatism correction, there is an automatic 0.25-0.45 diopter of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) correction even if you don't want myopic correction. If you are slightly myopic, astigmatism enhancement may be appropriate. If you are hyperopic a hyperopic/astigmatic correction may work well. If you are plano (no refractive error), it is likely that you will become slightly hyperopic after astigmatism enhancement surgery. You need to discuss this with your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:31 pm

LasikExpert wrote:If your ghosting is due to astigmatism it should be able to be fully resolved with lenses (which is better, one or two?).

Glenn,

What if you have a ghosting problem, but you don't see it when looking at the eye chart? Then, how would you know if it's correctable with lenses and be able to determine it's astigmatism?
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:16 am

Ghosting due to astigmatism may be greater with a larger pupil size (low light environment) or affect vision only at certain distances. An Orbscan and/or autorefraction can provide reasonably good analysis of normal astigmatism and the doctor can fit lenses to that information. If it is relative to pupil size, the room can be darkened and a non-illuminated Snellen chart used so the pupils will be larger.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

how long ususally will ghosting to away?

Postby jz5168 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Glenn,

First month after surgery, my right eye had no ghost image. Starting about 6 weeks it started developing ghosing image. I read the article about ghosting, my question is, since it was sharp short after the surgery, is it reasonable to say this ghosting is likely due to the healing process but not introduced? And typically how long it takes for the ghosting to go away? Mine seems to become worse within the last couple of weeks.

Thanks.
jz5168

Postby Mr_Kravitz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:45 pm

I just had my 8 month follow-up and have been told my problem is that I "over-responded" to the lasik. I wasn't over-corrected, I "over-responded". I have gone from -6.00 in one eye to +1.25 and it's the hyperopia that is causing the ghosting. Now I've scheduled a second opinion appointment with an affiliated doctor to see what options he would recommend. (I've also gone from -5.25 to +.75 in the other eye). I don't know whether to have the enhancement with CK, Lasik or just to leave things alone. Help!!
Mr_Kravitz

Return to Had It A While Ago