Got my 2nd Opinion

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Got my 2nd Opinion

Postby aspenice » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi,
Well, it has been 18 weeks (tomorrow) since I had Custom Vue Lasik. I got some really good recommendations from JPD and Glenn. I had decided to go with a second opinion here in my hometown of Sacramento. I got this one from Glenn. I will go down to S. Cal if I have too but wanted to see what someone else had to say.

The doctor gave me a 2 hour thorough exam and really checked my eye and here is hat he said:

1. both eyes are off by .50 diopter and I have .25 of a astigmatism.

2. He went onto say that my eyes are perfect and that the surgery couldn't have been done better. He wet onto say he has heard nothing but great things by the surgeon who did my eyes although he has never met him.

His recommendation is that I would wait and get a enhancement if I wish. He said that he would rather my other doctor do it b/c bringing a second surgeon into the picture has risks and plus it will save me thousands of dollars. He also went onto say that he would just preform plain lasik as opposed to wavefront. He said that patients who have my outcome are just happy and don't do anything else but some patients like me what perfect results and aren't happy until this happens. He didn't say anything about wearing glasses, etc.

My dry eye has gotten way better but the vision is less than acute. He said that he would write my previous doc a letter stating what he found and his recommendations. I thought that was very nice. So, do I do the enhancement or not?? My gut says yes, because my vision is not clear at all but then whn do I get this? Another factor is that I maybe moving to Europe in the next few months so... what do I do? Wait until over there or get it done here?

With my corrections not beng major will the enhancement surger over correct me? I would love to hear from people who had the enhancement done and had great results after? Just wanted to share this with you all since you have read my journey from the start. My dry eye is so much better but still not perfect or great.

Thanks.
aspenice

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:18 pm

In my opinion you should wait on enhancement surgery. Your residual refractive error is so very small that the probability of overcorrection into hyperopia does not seem worth the very small benefit you would receive from surgery. Look at it another way. If this was your natural refractive error and you had never had surgery, would you even consider Lasik?

Your second opinion doctor has provided a detailed exam and opinion on your first surgeon. It seems the recommendation to stay with your first surgeon is well founded.

You may want to wear contact lenses for a few weeks just to see if there is enough difference to even consider enhancement surgery. At the very least, wait until your dry eye is fully resolved as this may provide the additional clarity you seek.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tiggy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi,

I am glad you got a 2nd opinion.
18 weeks just doesn't seem like long enough to wait before going under the laser again. Eyes can take awhile to stabilize. Odds are you are close to where you will end up but, IMHO I would give it 9 months or so. I have read about people having significant improvement past the 6 month mark on the D'eyelogues board.

What was your starting rx?

Best-
Tigs
tiggy

Postby aspenice » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:04 pm

So sorry for the late reply but there was a death in my family and have been dealing with that.

The dry eye is getting much better but still there. I am going to make an appt. with the 2nd opinion and see if he ill write that letter or me for my original doctor. I just feel better if this were done but hope the first doctor doesn't get angry. You know people take things personally alot. What do you think?

Also, I am going to wait about 9 months to a year before I do any enhancement. I could get glasses but don't want to wear them and contacts I would be afraid of since he flap may get disturbed, right? What kind of contacts would you use?

My starting rx was 4.50 and . 50 astigmatism in right eye and 3.25 and .75 astigmatism in left eye. Tiggy, did you have the enhancement?

Thanks.

Aspen
aspenice

Postby tiggy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your recent loss. I am glad the dry eye is improving- that makes a huge difference.

Yes, I had a procedure to correct the astigmatism that PRK didn't seem to get. This was not PRK induced astigmatism- only residual. So my doc made two cuts around the cornea to help "relax" it. Now my astigmatism in .5 instead of 1.25. I started out with 3.25 in that eye.

I see so much better. I think my doctor is hesitant to try to correct the .5 astigmatism if it remains stable. He did mention PRK if the AK didn't do the trick.

You are wise to wait a while.
Best,

Tigs
tiggy

Return to Had It A While Ago