Will I be able to read anything without glasses after Lasik?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Will I be able to read anything without glasses after Lasik?

Postby jake57 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:42 am

I am scheduled for Lasik in October but am having problems deciding if I should get monovision or not.

I have no expectations of not wearing glasses again and fully expect I will need to wear reading glasses after which ever procedure I decide on. If I do not get the monovision, I just DO NOT want to have to put glasses on to read a soup label or just scan a page for 10 seconds. How bad is the vision for reading (seeing close) after the procedure?

I am currently wearing glasses with a prescription for monovision to test it out. I am not having any problems with depth perception but distance wise, objects are not as clear as I would like though I have only been wearing them for 2 days. If I do get the monovision, will distance objects become clearer over time as my brain adjusts or is this as good as it gets?

I would appreciate any “informed” advice I can get!

Thank You

Jake

PS: I am 50.
jake57

I understand..your in the right place..maybe..

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:17 am

Hi, I had blended vision and am 55yrs. I was confused and uncertain also, and have since learned alot. My Doctors radio advertisements say that he can give you vision so you can read a menu and your watch . If I had both my eyes done for distance like I wanted (but was talked out of) I would NOT be able to --see the remote control---read the labels on jars in the refrigerator---see the computer screen-- dash board/radio controls in the car---read a calendar---read print at about arms length in good light---read DVD's in the video store--the clock by the bed-- I CANNOT see all these things out of my DISTANT vision eye, but my eye that was under corrected about 1 diopter I CAN SEE all these. Now the key is for the surgeon to determine how much undercorrection and unbalanced vision a person can tolerate. People are different. In general the greater the undercorrection the smaller/closer print one can see. However 1 diopter in vision quality is not the same for everyone, keep in mind. Factors such as age, occupation, prescription, also mean a great deal. I was telling the doctor up until half hour before the surgery that I thought .5 diopter was good enough for me and he said " I have you pegged" meaning he thought he knew what was best for me, and he was right. I was really worried that I would not be able to handle the non binocular vision, and I am now about 90% okay with it. I am now thinking maybe I could have handled about 1.50 diopter (threading a needle) but he said I probably would not have liked it. (The inbalance in vision may have been to much for my personality/brain adjustment to handle). You asked about distant vision. I will use the example of driving. I can see very, good driving, license plates, store signs, road signs, etc.
At night I am having trouble because for some reason at least for me the undercorrected eye stands out more at night. I have a little astigmatism and -.5 correction in my distant eye, and think if this is enhanced, I might see better at night, I will need to look into this further. When I wrote one of my early posts, Glen commented that even if I was not super thrilled with mono vision/blended I may be even more upset with full distant correction, and I think he was right. Again this is my take and there are others who WANT full distant. Keep that in mind. There are a few posts of older people who do not like the full vision, because of the reasons I mentioned, and there are some who cannot adjust to the mono vision. Go Figure?.....remember I mentioned the PERSONALITY.....I think it depends on the quality of correction, the personality and the adjustment time. These are factors I have read from the experts. This is why my regular eye doctor said I would not be happy with LASIK and that is the reason I kidd with the UnPerfect business..because I am trying to adjust to this also. I forgot to mention that I tried contacts to duplicate the LASIK, they gave me full correction/distant only and I panicked right away, I could not see the dash board in the car, items at the store , or to shave ( a big one).. Then when they gave me the mono I panicked also, because as others have said the contacts do not give a really accurate sample of a good LASIK procedure. This happened at the first doctor I went to and I made such a scene with questioning their procedures they told me to come back another time after I took some time to think things over. I ended up having it done by another doctor. If I had it done at the first doctor I think they were thinking of -1.50 undercorrected like I mentioned earlier and who knows maybe I would have been happy. But the last thing I want to mention , both doctors said that if I did not like the mono , they could change it, in five miutes (enhancement)...so there it is. One gal one here likes to say "thats my 2 cents worth" so I'll say thats my 15 cents worth.. Bob K

"Get by with a little help from our friends"
Mr.UnPerfect

Re: Will I be able to read anything without glasses after La

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:23 pm

jake57 wrote:I am currently wearing glasses with a prescription for monovision to test it out.

Monovision with glasses? Usually contact lenses are used for monovision as it provides the closest simulation to monovision with surgery.

I like to say that you can know you like monovision within a few days, but you won't know that you hate it for several weeks. This is because it can take the brain several weeks to understand what is happening and take advantage of the monovision effect. You need to give your brain several weeks to adjust.

I personally find monovision allows me to read all but the smallest print, but I do wear glasses for full distance correction when I drive.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lvziggy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:50 pm

I'll just add my two cents in. :D

My surgeon tried to talk me into monovision but I refused, I just wanted to be able to see distance. For me, I'm very happy I DIDN'T get monovision. I can actually read fairly small print without any glasses at all, but if I am reading a lot, like at work I am on the computer most of the day, or if I am reading a book or the newspaper, I do use weak reading glasses (+1.25), and I don't mind having to use them. But that is MY experience. Others here have a terrible time with a complete inability to read anything after having lasik.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can tell how you will end up until after you've had the surgery. Like Mr. Unperfect said tho, if you try monovision and decide you hate it, they can always touch up the undercorrected eye. If you have both eyes corrected for distance right off the bat, then you can't go back to monovision.

~Alison
lvziggy

Return to Thinking About It