Persistent Glare after 1 year

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Persistent Glare after 1 year

Postby surfsupdude » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:41 pm

I had my Lasik surgery in August 2006. It has been one year and I have been "graduated" from my program. However, I have persistent glare in my right eye. It is always present but most noticeable when I am indoors, particularly when I am working on a computer or reading. This glare was present from the very beginning. At night, I see halos around lights (only in the right eye) and in any type of environment, there always seems to be a strange glare around sources of light. I work on the computer all day long and by the end of the day I usually have a headache from the eye strain.

I told both the optometrist and ophthalmologist who treated me about this problem. The optometrist told me to tell the ophthalmologist and he told me that it was common and that it would go away. He told me to blink more and that my brain would adjust to it. He seemed more concerned with getting me out of his office than listening to my problem. And it has not improved, if anything it seems to have worsened and my frustration with it has as well.

I am writing this forum to ask for advice on what I should do. I was considering writing a letter to the doctor completely outlining my problem but I not sure what would happen from here. Any input would be helpful.

Kevin
surfsupdude

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:08 am

Write the surgeon with all the details you can provide, and ask for an examination for the problem. Glare is often associated with dry eyes and you can have one dry eye with the other fine. Does it change with the use of a thick artificial tear like Systane? Are there times/events when the glare does not exist?
Last edited by LasikExpert on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby surfsupdude » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:07 pm

Thank you for your response.

My eye does not really feel "dry." I have used Refresh and Systane over the counter artificial tears off and on. Using these products does nothing to clear up the glare. I notice the glare all the time. The best way to describe it is that it looks like there is a layer of clear fuzz over everything through my right eye. I only notice a halo effect when I am in dark places, like when the credits come on in a dark movie theatre, there are halos around the white wording.

I will write the doctor a letter describing the problem. I wanted to know if this was a common problem...
surfsupdude

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:35 pm

What you are calling glare may not be what a doctor would call the same symptoms. Perhaps you could describe your symptoms to your doctor in detail without attaching a name to them (glare, halo, etc.).
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago