Pseudotumor Cerebri Complications

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Pseudotumor Cerebri Complications

Postby Babujai1 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:36 pm

I was diagnosed with PTC during a routine eye exam (confirmed later w/ spinal tap). Does this condition disqualify me from surgery? I haven't had any other Lasik evaluations yet. I just want to know whether or not I should bother.
Babujai1

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:40 am

From the Handbook of Ocular Disease Management:

Pseudotumor cerebri (PTC) is encountered most frequently in young, overweight women between the ages of 20 and 45. Headache is the most common presenting complaint, occurring in more than 90 percent of cases. Dizziness, nausea, and vomiting may also be encountered, but typically there are no alterations of consciousness or higher cognitive function. Tinnitus, or a "rushing" sound in the ears, is another frequent complaint. Visual symptoms are present in up to 70 percent of all patients with PTC, and include transient visual obscurations, general blurriness, and intermittent horizontal diplopia. These symptoms tend to worsen in association with Valsalva maneuvers and changes in posture. Reports of ocular pain, particularly with extreme eye movements, have also been noted.

It would be nearly impossible to differentiate complications related to Lasik from complications related to PTC. One of the symptoms of PTC is blurred vision. PTC is not very well understood, therefore it would be almost impossible to predict what effect Lasik would have on PTC and PTC would have on Lasik. I could find no case studies in published medical literature of a patient with PTC having Lasik or similar refractive surgery procedure

Lasik is an elective, arguable cosmetic, procedure. It does not seem prudent to have elective surgery when you have something like PTC.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Babujai1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:11 pm

Thanks for the info. I have non-symptomatic ptc...no blurry vision, some headaches (but not the life stopping headaches my doctor expected) and my spinal fluid pressure was higher than normal, but not horribly so. My issue is a swollen optic nerve. Doesn't Lasik concentrate on reshaping the cornea?
Babujai1

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Lasik reshapes the cornea, however during that process the intraocular pressure (IOP) is dramatically raised for a short time. This could be problematic for a comprimised optic nerve. PRK and LASEK do not require this elevated IOP.

It does not seem likely that Lasik itself would cause an immediate problem, but as problems develop with the PTC you will not know if they are due to PTC or due to Lasik, and thereby would not know which and how to treat.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It