Cornea flap thin, should I do go ahead?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Cornea flap thin, should I do go ahead?

Postby mizzee » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:36 pm

I'm female
32 years old
-9.00/-2.25 cyl/ 06 axis
-9.00/-2.25 cyl /013 axis
been wearing glasses since I was 5yrs old. I have developed astigatism in both eyes.

I've went through all the tests including wavelength scan and told eligible to have lasik. However, the cornea thickness is a bit thin. 252 micros. I ve been warned that and 2nd enhancement will be needed. my main concern is if my cornea flap is already thin, will there be an less chance of being able to have an enhancement? also what is the advantage of having custom wavelength lasik? will that help prevent my night glares from being worse or will it make my night driving completely no good?

note i am scheduled for surgery Thursday. I'm hoping my surgeon can have my questions answered in time but he's out of town
mizzee

I do not think you have lasik

Postby floatanddry » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:21 pm

With a cornea that thin you should not have LASIK. You will have high risk for corneal ecstasia post Lasik. You should get another opinion before moving forward. Glenn should comment on this as well, but this is what I understand from the research on good candidates versus bad Lasik candidates.
floatanddry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:25 pm

I am assumming that what you meant by 252 microns is the estimated amount of untouched cornea after surgery. In my opinion this should disqualify you from Lasik.

About 198 microns of tissue will need to be removed to correct your high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision with astigmatism. The probability of a regression of effect is nearly absolute, which would require from 12-30 additional microns of tissue removal. Add to this the thickness of the Lasik flap - even a thin laser created flap - and you are disturbing well more than half your cornea, will not have any margin for error, and will likely not achieve full correction.

You may want to consider phakic intraocular lenses (P-IOL) as an alternative to Lasik. In about ten years when you are becoming presbyopic and need bifocals or reading glasses, consider Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE). You could have P-IOL now and RLE later, if appropriate.

P-IOLs in the US will not correct the astigmatism, however a combination of P-IOL for the myopia and laser assisted surgery such as Lasik, PRK, or LASEK, or Epi-Lasik for the astigmatism may be appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It