number of operations

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

number of operations

Postby jim83 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:36 pm

I have heard experience accounts for a lot in LASIK surgery. How many operations does a good/busy surgeon do in a year?

For example a clinic I am considering has done 60k operations since 2000. I have no clue if thats a lot or not.

I have also no idea how its done. If for example the doctors individually perform operations or if its a team work on each patient. Ie even if the clinic has done 60k operations I could get unlucky and have an inexperienced surguon perform mine.
jim83

Postby lvziggy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:54 pm

Jim,

I wouldn't give too much credit to a surgeon just because he/she has done thousands of lasik surgeries. There are what I call "assembly-line" places that will operate on anyone who comes thru their door whether that person is a good candidate for the surgery or not. Then there are surgeons who are particular about who they operate on because they want their patients to get good results. So, the latter type of surgeon will have done fewer surgeries compared to the assembly-line surgeon, but will most likely get better results.

Hope that helps.

~Alison
lvziggy

Return to Thinking About It