Thoughts on Enhancement

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Thoughts on Enhancement

Postby noodles » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi,
I had my most recent check up with my doctor. I had my Lasik procedure in March, so I am at a little over 6 months now. I have seen very slow, but ongoing improvement in visual acuity. I am 41 years old. I have been having some problems with ghosting in one eye, and hazy/blurry vision in the other. Also, deterioration in vision in low light environments. I can drive at night, but have trouble with plays, sporting events, that type of thing. I started out at -5.0 in left and -4.0 in right eye with .25 of astigmatism in each. At this check up, I am -.50 in both eyes with I think .25 astigmatism remains in one eye. I have been having dry eye problems. Along with the exam, he did an orbscan and says that my flaps have healed "ideally" and that the surfaces of my eye are smooth and even, etc. All very positive healing. At this check up my doctor prescribed Restasis since my eyes are still moderately dry and we discussed enhancement. He did not recommend it, and said if he were in my position, he would'nt opt for an enhancement. He said that he thinks the remaining ghosting and haziness may be due to the dryness and that I should be on Restasis for about 3 months and see what that does. Also, he gave me a prescription for glasses for the low light situations that are an issue --- plays, sporting events. He said given my age, that I am better off with this slight need for a prescription and that if he enhanced me, which he could easily do for this slight prescription, that I would require reading glasses much/considerably sooner than if I left things as is.

To this point, I have had some problems -- dry eyes and it has taken a significant amount of time for my eyes to adjust and stop overfocusing, etc. My vision seems as if, despite the fact that it is over 6 months, it is continuing to improve ever so slightly every month.

So, my question is, given my age and the small amount of residual myopia should I consider an enhancment, or am I better off staying slightly myopic and just using glasses for those instances that require the extra prescription, which really only happens once a month or so -- and prolong the time before I need reading glasses. Or go for the totally sharp distance vision?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm really agonizing over this. One other thing, all of my close range vision is currently great.
noodles

Postby croanster » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:11 am

G’day noodles. I can understand your dilemma. I’m in a similar situation with my dominant eye at -0.75 and non dominant at +0.25. I have heard similar views – “that small amount of short-sightedness will be good in the end..”

I think it depends alot on your lifestyle. Do you do outdoor activities? Do you drive / ride alot? Do you have weekends away where you look at the countryside and admire the view? What about looking at the stars / moon? OR Do you do heaps of close work – I don’t know maybe stamp collecting or soldering electronic kits?

Have you thought about getting only your dominant eye ‘enhanced’? With my script, in good conditions I have nice sharp vision, gaining clarity through the +0.25 eye. This is no mean feat given that that eye is ‘lazy’ (Amblyopia due to imbalanced hypermetropia as a kid) and only sees about 20/40 or slightly better no matter what. Taken me nearly 3 months for my head to get used to the idea but I can definitely see how monovision would work really well for some people.

This is what I have decided: -0.75 or -0.5 will always be a bit fuzzy at anything over 5 feet. Will never change. I spend more of my life looking at stuff further away than 5 feet. I ride a motorbike, ski, etc and enjoy outdoorsy stuff. I want that stuff to be clear and if I have to wear reading glasses in 10 years so what! (I’m 36) at least my distance vision will be good for ever! (hopefully)

I’m very keen to get the -0.75 taken out and will be doing it for sure – no hesitation. Taken me a month of thought and torment to come to that conclusion mind you! ;)

Having said all of that, if my dominant eye was 0 or +0.25 and my non dominant eye was -0.75 I might be telling a different story.

I rekon go the enhancement on one eye (dominant) first and give it a few months and see how you go. You can always do the other one later if you want.

Ultimately, go with how you feel and what you think would work best for you. Hope that helps somehow – goodluck!
croanster

Postby lvziggy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Noodles, I have to agree with Croanster. You need to decide what is more important to you and your lifestyle - sharp distance vision with the possibility of needing reading glasses, or better close up vision but with blurrier distance vision.

For me it was a no-brainer. I am very active outdoors and I wanted the sharp distance vision. And as a bonus, although my surgeon warned that I if I didn't get the monovision I would definitely need reading glasses at my age (47), as it turned out I actually see fine print fairly well. It surprised my surgeon how well I can read small print. I can read the newspaper or a book without glasses, but since I'm on the computer all day I do better with weak reading glasses (+1.25). So you don't know for sure how your close up vision will be affected and even the surgeon can't tell until it's done.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby slee104611 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:27 pm

I completely agree with Coroanster and lvziggy, you have to choose based on your lifestyle. It was a no-brainer for me - My exact words to the opthamologist was handing her a report from work and saying "make me read this really well and hang the distance vision." Living in NYC there is no need to drive and you don't need to see farther than across the street or up to the next corner.

My eye doctor gave me a series of contact lenses to fake mono-vision and for various levels of near distance correction prior to my enhancement. It's a little strange to be able to "pick your vision" but that's what I did and I had the enhancement and I'm happy. Maybe you could explore that with your Dr.
slee104611

enhancement

Postby noodles » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:53 pm

Thank you all. That is helpful. I'm on Restasis, only 1 1/2 weeks so too early to tell if it will help some of the double vision at far distances in the left eye and the blur/haze in the right. I also got a prescription to test glasses for things like plays, etc. since it only means using them very infrequently not a big deal. I also live/work in the NYC area and spend a good deal of time on the computer and reading documents. Unfortunatley for me, not that cut and dry because I regularly do things at all distances although, I don't need razor sharp distance vision e.g. for golf and things like that. I really appreciate the idea about the contacts and trying them at varying levels and also trying it in one eye potentially to see if I just did my dominant eye. My one issue is that the double vision which is most bothersome is in the nondominant eye. However, strong clarity in the dominant may minimize the impact. My one concern is that I may not be able to wear contacts again due to the dry eyes. Although I had no indicators before at all, I am still plagued with moderate dry eye over 6 months out from surgery.
noodles

Return to Had It A While Ago