Restasis question

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Restasis question

Postby slee104611 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:15 pm

My left eye is 10 months post op and my right is 3.5 months post op and according to my Dr both eyes are still really dry so she put me on Restasis. My 1st question is that I'm surprised that my left eye would still be dry after 10 months, from everything I read, I thought severe dry eye cleared up after 3 to 6 months. Also, assuming Restasis worked, does this mean that I have to use it for the rest of my life? Is it still possible for my tears to form naturally or should I just throw in the towel and come to grips that my condition is permanent? Thank you
slee104611

Postby Betty39 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:54 am

Ah...there is the question. I ask myself this from time to time too. I am 2 weeks shy of 1 year post op and still have dry eyes. I have silicone punctal plugs in my lower ducts and am on Restasis. I use genteal gel when I sleep at night. Is it permanent? Only time will tell. Could it be? Yes it could. You should check out what the FDA says about dry eye in their article about Lasik. Wish I would have read that. I asked my doctor if I will need to be on Restasis the rest of my life. He said perhaps. It has helped me a lot. I am now to the point that I have mild dry eyes but still it is something I have learned to deal with. I avoid places and conditions that make it worse. I have had to learn to modify my life style. I am much better than I was those first agonizing months and I have hope I may see further improvement. The doctors never tell you it could be permanent. The FDA does. All in all I am still to the point that I wish I wouldn't have done this. Dealing with the irritation and using the drops and goop is way more inconvienient than my contacts were.
Betty39

Re: Restasis question

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:40 pm

slee104611 wrote:I thought severe dry eye cleared up after 3 to 6 months.

The vast majority of patients who have Lasik induced dry eye resolve within six monts of surgery, however not everyone (unfortunately). It seems that if the dry eye is only related to the surgery it resolves within six months, however if surgery exacerbates pre-existing dry eye conditions or borderline dry eye, the problem may be more long term.

slee104611 wrote:Also, assuming Restasis worked, does this mean that I have to use it for the rest of my life?

Restasis is a medication for the treatment of long-term dry eye - and that can be a lifetime. It is also used to help provide relief for people with temporary Lasik induced dry eye, however it may be recommended to use Restasis for as long as the dry eye does not resolve.

slee104611 wrote:Is it still possible for my tears to form naturally or should I just throw in the towel and come to grips that my condition is permanent?

It is possible that the dry eye will resolve, however be prepared to need dry eye management for the long-term.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Betty39 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:42 am

However, it also seems a person can be boarderline dry eye and not know it. I had no dry eye symptoms before this surgery. Afterward they have decided I may have been boarderline dry eye. How convienient. Keep in mind, I didn't have any stinging, dryness, burning or anything that even suggests dry eye. I think it does cause dry eye in people who have never experienced any dry eye symptoms pre-surgery. The FDA also warns about this possibility.
Betty39

Postby slee104611 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:22 pm

I had no dry eye issues prior to surgery. The Dr. is actually surprised that the left eye is still so dry at the 10 months stage. She said I healed beautifully and the vision is exactly where we want it so the only issue is the dry eye so we're going to try restasis.

The Restasis seems really seems to be working - my vision has already cleared up after a week plus. It stings and leaves a sort of "sour" feeling to the eyeball that it causes it to keep tearing up which causes the vision to stay crisper. A little uncomfortable but effective.
slee104611

Postby DryEye » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:34 pm

How did you and your doctor come the conclusion that it was solely dry eye?
Did your Orbscans show no residual astigmatism or refractive error, etc.?
When they refracted you was it with tears prior or without?
Thanks
DryEye

Postby slee104611 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:02 pm

They did an orbscan and they tested me without tears then with tears. She also threw in some sort of dye and looked for dry spots as well as measuring my prescription to match it up against the baseline and the left eye was pretty much the same as 3 months prior. She did a couple other tests too but am not sure what they wer efor. SHe then told me that I'm still really dry but have no dry spots so I should try Restasis without plugs for now.
slee104611

Return to Had It A While Ago