LASEK & Early Form Fruste Keratoconus

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

LASEK & Early Form Fruste Keratoconus

Postby Wadirunner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi, I'm 34yo, -4.75 in each eye, and am thinking about LASEK. 3q.s
1) In early 05, I'd an initial consultation for LASIK, but was advised by the surgeon that my EFF Keratoconus was a contra-indicator for LASIK, so I put the idea of laser surgery to bed. Then in Sep 07, I went for another consultation at a different clinic and was told that I'd be suitable for LASEK. Although I showed no clinical signs of EFFK, one of the topographical corneal software maps suggested a possible Keratoconus, as per the 05 exam, hence his reluctance to do LASIK, but he suggested LASEK as a viable alternative. What do you think? I know that LASEK uses up a lot less corneal thickness than LASIK... This new surgeon is confident that LASEK poses no risk to my eyes....
2) Also, since I started to wear glasses 13 years ago, I've usually gained about half a diopter each year. Would LASEK halt that progression? Again, this new surgeon is confident that LASEK would, if not eliminate the regression, then slow it down quite considerably. He gave an example of 3 clones of me - one wearing fulltime glasses, one wearing fulltime contacts and one with the LASEK procedure, and said that the LASEK clone would fare off best. What do you think?
3) I know that in the event of some refractive surgery problems, best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) is not always possible. In the event of my becoming myopic after LASEK, is it viable with BCVA?
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers, Wadirunner.
Wadirunner

Re: LASEK & Early Form Fruste Keratoconus

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Wadirunner wrote:Hi, I'm 34yo, -4.75 in each eye, and am thinking about LASEK. 3q.s
1) In early 05, I'd an initial consultation for LASIK, but was advised by the surgeon that my EFF Keratoconus was a contra-indicator for LASIK...

Early Form Fruste Keratoconus is a contraindication for all types of refractive surgery that reduce the amount of corneal tissue. This would include Lasik, All-Laser Lasik, PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik. It may be possible to find a surgeon who will perform refractive surgery, but you are at an elevated risk of exacerbating the keratoconus.

Intacs are corneal ring segments that are implanted at the edge of the cornea. Intacs not only can reduce myopia, but they have been shown to stabilize keratoconus. You should investigate Intacs or similar intracorneal ring segments (ICRS) closely.

Wadirunner wrote:2) Also, since I started to wear glasses 13 years ago, I've usually gained about half a diopter each year. Would LASEK halt that progression?

No. LASEK or any other form of refractive surgery that removes corneal tissue will not halt the natural progression of myopia. Intacs may halt the progression. The fact that you have consistently progressed every year and that over half your current refractive error can be attributed to regression over the past decade indicates a unstable cornea. This is another contraindication of tissue removing surgery techniques and another indication that Intacs may be most appropriate.

Wadirunner wrote:3) I know that in the event of some refractive surgery problems, best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) is not always possible. In the event of my becoming myopic after LASEK, is it viable with BCVA?.

Your myopia will undoubtedly continue to progress with or without refractive surgery. Intacs have been shown to slow the progression of keratoconus, however Lasik, All-Laser Lasik, PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik have been shown to exacerbate pre-existing keratoconus. Assuming the correction is symmetrical and does not induce irregular optics, you are very likely able to wear glasses to correct residual and progressive refractive error after surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It