Restasis = celluvisc, fish oil, & artificial tears?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Restasis = celluvisc, fish oil, & artificial tears?

Postby isdanreally » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:56 pm

The Dr. I’ve chosen to perform my LASIK prescribed for me to use Restasis 3 months before, and 3 months after surgery. They also have a policy of lower the cost of the procedure by the amount of prescriptions not covered by insurance. When I learned that it would cost me $240 a month for Restasis, and even getting it from Canada would cost $180 a month I thought I’d call and verify they’d be willing to discount so much.

Upon being called back by the Dr., I was told to simply take an OTC product called celluvisc, use the artificial tears 2 extra times per day (for a total of 6-8x) and to take 1000 mg of fish oil per day, for 1 week prior to surgery and that the results would be the same. Does anyone hear have any insight to that claim? Even when I asked about generic Restasis which is $60 per month in 2x 3ml bottles instead of vials from Canada, or $14 a month from India, I was still told it was necessary.

I really appreciate any discussion on this topic. Thanks.
isdanreally

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:13 am

The regimen of Celluvisc, artificial tears, and fish oil (Omega III essential fatty acids) treats the symptoms of dry eyes. Restasis treats a cause of dry eyes - not necessarily the only cause, but a major cause.

Restasis is an anti-inflammatory that reduces the external pressure around the tiny channels that carry the tear fluids to your eyes, thereby increasing the flow of these fluids. If inflammation is the cause of the dry eye, Restasis may be very helpful. If inflammation is not the cause, Restasis would be of little benefit.

Lasik can exacerbate dry eyes and make a borderline case symptomatic. If you have dry eyes before Lasik, then proper treatment and management is not only appropriate, but necessary. You don’t want to go into surgery with compromised eyes.

Pre-existing dry eye treatment would very likely be a covered benefit under your major medical insurance plan.

You may want to read our articles about Lasik and dry eyes and dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It