Thinking about Lasik only 20

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Thinking about Lasik only 20

Postby jmo86 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:30 am

For the past month I have been researching Lasik surgery. I am only twenty years old but I have been wearing glasses my whole life. For the past year my contacts have been really uncomfortable (I wear toric lenses) and I just want to free myself from bondage. I keep reading about people who regret it, so I am a little worried. My first question, will my age affect my procedure? Is it a bad thing being young and having it done? I have been looking at a place in Fullerton California called TLC. I want to know if anybody has heard anything about it. I went for a consolation and they told me I needed custom Lasik. Also I want to know how to read the prescription for my lenses (this will help me decide if I need it) My right eye reads, 8.7/14.4 +0.25 -2.25 X180, left eye 8.7/14.4 +2.00 -2.75 x010.
Thanks
jmo86

Postby faithworks » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:36 am

hi,

I would advice you to not go for the LASIK treatment. Simply beacuse you are too young. I know glasses and lenses do look like bondage, but trust me they are much much better then the complications you go through if your surgery goes wrong. I am 21 and I had done LASIK 2 months back to remove my numbers as well. However, I am currently suffering from DLK, a flap related complication. Believe me, I am going through the worst phase of my life. I am totally unaware how long I would suffer from this. It may heal/ It may not. It all depends on god now. Given a choice i would NEVER go for LASIK again in my entire life. All the luck. God Bless.
faithworks

Postby sere1 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:49 am

Just for a little balance, I am 23--had LASIK 6 months ago, and couldn't be happier. It's awesome not to have to depend on contacts/glasses to figure out where the bathroom is (I was -6.5 in each eye, without astigmatism). My eyes' healing process wasn't completely smooth, but I would classify my end result as pretty much ideal :)

I would say being young is an advantage. Your body still heals relatively quickly, and you have more time to enjoy your eyes. Yes, there are complications, and this forum has many examples of the different kinds of complications people can have-that's why a lot of people came here, to find answers. But there are many, many more success stories than horror stories. Some of the complications, like the awful DLK that faithworks has, can't be predicted. They are also extremely rare. Read some of the old posts--many people's problems (although not everyone's) resolve over time.

Check out some of the articles on the usaeyes.org website. I think one of them includes how to decipher a prescription. In fact, I just googled "Eye prescription numbers" and usaeyes was the first website to pop up.

To me, it looks like you have hyperopia [farsighted], which is harder to accurately correct than the more common myopia [nearsighted]. You also have a ton of astigmatism, especially compared to your prescription, making it more difficult. Your astigmatism is probably what is hurting yoru vision so much, especially in your right eye.

Get tons of opinions from reputable places (there's a list on the website, too)--I'd say at least 4 or 5 because of your type of prescription. If they all tell you virtually the same thing, wonderful! If they don't, think long and hard about the differences, ask questions (there's a list of questions to ask here, as well) and decide if you're just believing what you want to hear, or if this surgery might not be the best for you.
Look up topics on this forum dealing with hyperopia--Glenn Hagele, (aka "Lasik Expert") has given some great advice, and others have shared their stories, with some good insights as to what to expect.

Best of luck with your decision!
sere1

Postby DorsalPhin » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:01 am

Hello! I am 24 and just had my LASIK done last Thursday (Oct 4, 2007). I couldn't be any happier! It was the best decision to have it done. I am also in Southern California and had mine done through TLC - Ontario. The doctor there was amazing! I felt very comfortable going there and am glad I picked that place. It came highly recommended by my eye doctor.

I also had astigmatism and was a little worried about doing the procedure, but like I said, I couldn't be any happier. 6 hours after my surgery, I already saw an amazing difference, and it has just gotten better and better each day. I now have 20/10 vision.

I found this forum the night before my surgery (bad idea) and read all the "problem" posts. Needless to say I was absolutly terrified that something was going to go wrong. However, I watched about 4 people get the surgery done before me, and I realized how simple the procedure really is. I would HIGHLY recommend watching a surgery first, that way you have an idea about what to expect.

I wish you all the best and hope you do whats best for you!
DorsalPhin

Postby The Pezman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:32 am

I believe you can't be younger than 18 and your prescription cannot have changed within two years or something like that.
The Pezman

Return to Thinking About It