Virgin Cornea vs Post Lasik Cornea

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Virgin Cornea vs Post Lasik Cornea

Postby DryEye » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:09 pm

Do the Orbscans or other tests show a doctor the surface of one's cornea - If it is rough and edgy vs a virgin cornea, which I am assuming is perfectly smooth?
Is looking at the surface roughness of a cornea post lasik taken into account on what type of machine may be used for enhancements?
Does surface irregularity come into play with poor night vision or blur in general?
Thanks
DryEye

Re: Virgin Cornea vs Post Lasik Cornea

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:40 am

DryEye wrote:Do the Orbscans or other tests show a doctor the surface of one's cornea - If it is rough and edgy vs a virgin cornea, which I am assuming is perfectly smooth?

Virgin corneas are seldom perfectly smooth and the older we are the more damage they have suffered over the years.

The Orbscan is a topographical mapping system of the front and back of the cornea. A roughness like fine sandpaper would not likely show up on an Orbscan test. An irregularity like a washboard would very likely show up.

I believe the standard diagnostic instrument for corneal roughness is still observation by a trained eye doctor.

DryEye wrote:Is looking at the surface roughness of a cornea post lasik taken into account on what type of machine may be used for enhancements?

Roughness like sandpaper would probably not make much difference. Roughness like a washboard might. It may be that a topographic-guided laser would be better than conventional or even wavefront-guided.

DryEye wrote:Does surface irregularity come into play with poor night vision or blur in general?

Absolutely yes. If the cornea is distressed, a larger pupil means more light traveling through a distressed cornea is reaching the retina and being "seen". If the irregularity is isolated to the outer edges of the cornea, the patient may have excellent vision during the day and dreadful vision at night. This is true for anybody, whether or not they have had Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago