I'm extremely far-sided, is there help?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

I'm extremely far-sided, is there help?

Postby ISM01 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:44 pm

OK, a couple years ago, I graduated college and was given lasik as a gift. Much to my dismay, when I went to consult my lasik physician he told me that my eyes were beyond what Lasik could do for me back then. To give you some insight, my prescriptions are as follows: +7.50 for my left eye and +6.00 for my right. On top of all that, I've also got Amblyopia (lazy eye) in my left eye. We caught the Amblyopia back when I was 5-6 years old and brought my vision up to about 20-40 with correction in my left eye (it still doesn't focus, however, even with contact lenses).

My questions:
Has Lasik improved enough to correct my vision (the prescription hasn't changed in over 10 years)?

If not, are there any other forms of eye surgery that might help (I've looked into implantable lenses, it seemed geared more toward near sidedness)?

Are there any surgical procedures out there that will correct my Amblyopia (Perhaps some sort of stem-cell treatment)?
ISM01

Postby croanster » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:12 am

Hi there. I think the answer is no - refractive surgery would probably not be the best best and i think you are looking in the right direction with the implantable lens stuff. Haven't researched it at all though so can't really comment.

I'm pretty sure the 'worst' prescription for farsightedness anyone will try to correct is around +6 but thats considered pretty hit and miss as far as the outcome is concerned. Having said that, i don't know how some surgeons would feel about correcting some of your hyperopia which would no doubt help you considerably. if they got you to say +1 or even +2 you'd be able to see a heap better than you can currently. Have to get a few opinions on that - again I'm just speculating.

As far as the Amblyopia is concerned, there's not a heap that can be done. I suffer from it in the right eye although i can focus ok, just don't see as much through it. I've read lots of studies on the net - about 1 in 10 indicate that there 'may' be a chance of 'slightly' improved vision in adults with plenty of training of the eye. My fathers old eye doctor used to tell him if he went blind in his 'good' eye, eventually the sight would improve in the lazy eye. Thankfully, dad never went blind in his good eye to test the theory!! :)

After longsighted lasik my Amblyopia eye(?) does see better than before with specs (or maybe its just wishfull thinking). I can usually get a letter or two on the 20/30 line which is about a single line improvment of what i used to get with the glasses on (I think).

There's a few posts here now about farsighted corrections so you can get an idea of what to expect.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
croanster

Re: I'm extremely far-sided, is there help?

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:08 pm

ISM01 wrote:Has Lasik improved enough to correct my vision (the prescription hasn't changed in over 10 years)?

No. You are extremely hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted). Hyperopic Lasik can improve your vision, but the probability of full correction without regression or other detrimental effects is not good. You may find someone who would provide Lasik, but do not expect to be 20/20.

ISM01 wrote:If not, are there any other forms of eye surgery that might help (I've looked into implantable lenses, it seemed geared more toward near sidedness)?

The phakic intraocular lens (P-IOL) is probably your best bet considering your age and refractive error, however measurements of the inside chambers of your eye may determine that there is not enough room for this type of lens. The US FDA has not approved a hyperopic P-IOL.

Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) may be an option, but you would lose the ability to change focus from distant to near. You would immediately need reading glasses. You could try monovision or multi-focal IOLs, but each has its own disadvantage.

ISM01 wrote:Are there any surgical procedures out there that will correct my Amblyopia (Perhaps some sort of stem-cell treatment)?

Unfortunately, no. Amblyopia is not an issue of a defect in the components that create vision, such as your cornea, retina, etc. Amblyopia is caused when the brain ignores information from the eyes. This is commonly caused by uncorrected refractive error during the early stages of life. The brain does not like the poor vision and so it ignores the data. Once the brain shuts down that process and you reach adolescence, it is difficult to impossible to regain. Attaining 20/40 corrected vision with amblyopia is a pretty good result.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It