PRK & Lasik - Question

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK & Lasik - Question

Postby NNH36 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:15 pm

LasikExpert,

Just by curiosity, I've a little question about PRK vs Lasik.

By rading articles here, it seems that PRK rules for Laik, PRK is the safe way to go for longterm. And especially those who have large pupille.

I know a guy who has eyes correction last week.
Based on previous consultations, he was sure he'd go to PRK because he has large pupile.

Only at the last minute, before the surgery, the doctor told him that he'll do Lasik for him . I don't know the real reason but the doctor said the patient doesn't need PRK, he'll do a Lasik. It's better.

WHYYYY ???? Is there any reason . The guy was quiet surpised. I don't know if the final decision were good .

The doctor seems to be qualified one. He've already done more 30000 operations teach at a local university.
NNH36

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:32 pm

Only the doctor will know the reason Lasik was the final recommendation over PRK. No matter the excellent skills of the surgeon, it is in my opinion inappropriate to make a major elective change to the surgery plan at the last minute and not allow the patient the opportunity to consider the options. I'm positive that there was nothing present on the day of surgery that was not present during the weeks before surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Well, what about general advantages?

Postby The Pezman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:24 pm

I read "The Eyes have it" in Newsweek where you were interviewed, Glenn. And it did seem to say that PRK tends to achieve better long-term vision than LASIK. I have an appointment in late November, but to me it sounds like that is the way to go. Healing time (in favor of LASIK) and cost (in favor of PRK) are factors as well, but they are both secondary to the overall well-being and long-term strength of my eyes.

Am I on the mark here?
The Pezman

Return to Thinking About It