Are my eyes really that bad?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Are my eyes really that bad?

Postby PA_Mike » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:59 pm

My latest script is as follows:

OD SPH -0.25 CYL -1.00 AXIS 100
OS SPH -1.00 CYL -0.50 AXIS 085

I've been functioning fine and am able to drive without glasses, yet I do always keep a pair in the glovebox, and was wondering if it would be worth while to get LASIK. Just as a side, someone told me that my astigmatism wasn't considered mild so LASIK may not be able to completely eliminate it.

TIA,
Mike
PA_Mike

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:06 am

You pretty much answered your own question when you said you keep your glasses in the glovebox.

Your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision is very, very slight. 0.25 diopter is within normal human variable. The astigmatism may degrade your vision quality, especially in low light environments.

Any elective surgery is about potential risk v. potential benefit. It does not look like you have too much to benefit from Lasik with your very low refractive error, but you will have all the same risk. It seems to be imbalanced.

If you do get serious and decide to proceed I highly recommend you investigate the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik instead of Lasik, and if you are near age 40 you should read about sudden presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It