haze after lasek

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

haze after lasek

Postby bat » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:24 pm

I have a consultation in a few weeks. I have high myopia, -8.5/-10.5, astigmatism -2.5 in each and average thickness corneas. I know I'm borderline for laser surgery and am seeing a top clinic because of this. If they offer lasek due to removing less cornea, is there a significant risk of long-term haze afterwards which might not resolve? I'm based in the UK.
bat

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:24 am

Lasik would probably be the preferred procedure, however it is vitally important that enough cornea remains untouched to maintain stability. If you have corneas of average thickness, Lasik may not be appropriate.

Your high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision coupled with significant astigmatism elevates your risk of corneal haze developing with a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik.

Modern small-spot lasers seem to be less likely to induce corneal haze, but your very high myopia is still a concern.

At least one study found that a patient taking 500mg of vitamin C twice a day for at least a week before surgery and at least a week after surgery plus the religious use of 100% UVA/UVB blocking sunglasses after surgery helped reduce the incidence of corneal haze after PRK. Unless you have a vitamin C allergy, this can't hurt and may help.

Many doctors apply Mitomycin C to the cornea during PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik surgery. This eye drop significantly changes the healing response of the cornea and virtually eliminates corneal haze. Some doctors prefer to only use Mitomycin C after surgery if corneal haze develops.

I recommend that you seek at least two if not three opinions on what method is best. You may want to use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor. Although they are designed for the states, most questions are applicable to the UK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bat » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:55 pm

tHANK YOU
Have decided to have a consultation at [redacted clinic name], which although not cheap is among the top 3 clinics probably in the uk, where they offer the top technology and top surgeons. Would be lasik, tissue-sparing, with intralase, its [redacted doctor's name] clinic, if that means anything to you in the US.
lINDA

Note: Posting was edited for content.
bat

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:19 pm

Please be sure to let us know your results.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

hoping to be suitable

Postby bat » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:00 am

Well am now wearing my glasses and not contacts for the recommended 2 weeks prior to consultation. This site seems more technical than the uk ones. So I wondered - given my prescription which is R -10.25, L, -8.5, both -2.5 astigmatism. My corneal thickness is R 552, L 525, and pupil diameters are 5.3/5.5. The Ks are max 45.7/45.2. Are the other measurements a good indicator that he may be able to do lasik? this guy is top-notch!
Thanks
bat

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:30 pm

There are scores of tests that can be performed, but the necessity of many depend upon your ocular history and health. I'm sure a topography of the cornea will/has been completed and you should also have a wavefront diagnostic.

Your corneas will be a bit on the flat side after surgery. You should expect regression of Lasik effects. The doctor may deliberately overcorrect you into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision to allow regression to bring you back to plano (no refractive error).

You should investigate phakic intraocular lenses (P-IOL) and Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) as possible alternatives to Lasik, PRK, or similar laser assisted vision correction surgery.

You have a very high refractive error. Do not expect the 20 Minute Miracle. Yours will be a process, not an event.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It