Help me to save My Mother After LASIK

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Help me to save My Mother After LASIK

Postby lordadel » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:13 am

Hello

First I'd Like to introduce my self

my name is adel i am from Egypt "and please forgive me if my medical expressions arent correct i am not a doctor"

My Mom is a doctor

My MoM had LASIK in her both eyes 12 years ago but at that time it wasnt so advanced like nowadays

the doctor who made the LASIK wasn't so good so after the LASIK She wasnt able to see clear she had multiple vision the doctor said that the thickness of conea became less and he wasn't able to adjust the LASIK time

and at that time there was no solutions except conrea transplant or by putting Regid lenses to prevent it from getting worse or to delay the keratoconus that will happen

and ofcourse she chose to put Regid lenses
recently she went to a doctor again and he said that the keratoconus is increasing

but in the past years there has been progress in that field

i knew that there are New Treatments which can be safer and more effective to treat keratoconus
i knew that they now use C3-R to increase and strengthen the collagean cross-linking between the layers of the cornea and this also can be used with intacs which would be better

MY QUESTIONS:

Can The C3-R and/or Intacs be usefull in my Mom's case "as her cornea became thinner" will that be usefull in her case?

If this can be usefull howmuch will it cost me to make the C3-R Treatment?and where is the best place to make it?

please someone answer my questions this is very important for my mother her life became much more difficult and this is really affectiong her life badly

Thanks Alot For Listening and for your time
Adel
lordadel

Re: Help me to save My Mother After LASIK

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:50 pm

I am sorry to hear of your mother's difficulties. Keratoconus is a naturally occurring disease that causes weakening and thinning of the cornea. Keratoconus commonly presents as progressive astigmatism and can often be managed with the use of rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact lenses.

Keratoconus can be exacerbated by Lasik and similar vision correction surgery. Today there are diagnostic devices that can reveal keratoconus before it becomes problematic and disqualify a patient for Lasik or similar surgery that may make the problem worse.

lordadel wrote:Can The C3-R and/or Intacs be usefull in my Mom's case "as her cornea became thinner" will that be usefull in her case?

Intacs have been shown to help stabilize a cornea affected by keratoconus and slow the progression of the disease. Intacs can also correct low amounts of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. Intacs may help with the quality and the quantity of your mother's vision.

Corneal Collagen Crosslinking with Riboflavin (CxL) is a newly developed treatment that is designed to make the cornea more rigid and reduce the effects of kerataconus.

lordadel wrote:If this can be usefull howmuch will it cost me to make the C3-R Treatment?and where is the best place to make it?

I do not know the cost for Intacs or CxL. Intacs (or similar corneal ring segments) are commonly available from many Lasik surgeons. CxL is less commonly available. Many CxL practitioners around the world will soon be attending an International Congress of Corneal Cross Linking conference in Zurich. You may want to contact the organizers and ask for a referral to a CxL doctor in Egypt.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks For Your Reply

Postby lordadel » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:40 am

Thanks alot for your answer i really appreciate it

but i still don't know who exactly should i contact i have checked the site that you gave me for that conference which will be held in swizerland but i couldnt know how to contact them there is no E_mail or telephone number to call

so who exactly should i contact about that issue?

Thanks

Cheers
Adel
lordadel

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:47 am

The administrator for the conference is available at:

Technoparkstrasse 1, CH-8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Tel.: +41 44 445 34 50, Fax: +41 44 445 34 55,
E-Mail: info@cbs-congress.ch
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes