Epi-Lasik scheduled for tomorrow.....should I do it?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Epi-Lasik scheduled for tomorrow.....should I do it?

Postby MASK » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:05 pm

Hello all.

New to the board and there is alot of great info on here. the bad thing is alot of this info has really got me wigging out. I am getting Epi-Lasik tomorrow at 9 am, and I was assuming it was a "sure thing" from everyone I talked to, but it seems alot of people have problems from reading this board

I am getting Epi because I have thin corneas. I live in Memphis and Im going to Dr. T[redacted] of the T[redacted] Clinic (affiliated with [a national Lasik chan]). Any word or info on this guy? Im 30 and generally healthy, though I tested positive on an ANA test for autoimmune, but after further investigation it came back negative for any disease. Thanks for any help!!
MASK

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 pm

We don't use the names of specific physicians or clincs in this forum. I recommend you use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor to evaluate a potential surgeon.

Epi-Lasik is a surface ablation technique like PRK or LASEK. The difference is that a microkeratome with a blunt blade is used to lift the epithelium (outermost layer of corneal cells) as a sheet, which is repositioned over the treatment area after the laser energy is applied.

The vision recovery tends to be good the first day, goes downhill for a week or two, then rebounds and settles down after 4-6 weeks. You will not get a "20 Minute Miracle" with a surface ablation technique, but with thin corneas it may be the best option. Also, several studies have shown that surface ablation techniques provide slightly better outcomes long-term than Lasik.

If you search this forum you will find a few people who have had Epi-Lasik. If you follow those threads to the end you will find that virtually every patient concern was resolved with healing. You need to be patient with Epi-Lasik.

Another reason you see so many posts about problems in our forums is that people who get what they expect rarely are coming here to post about it. Even if they do, it is one post and they go on their way. Forums like this provide a skewed reality. The reality is that about 3% of refractive surgery patients (all types of patients, all types of surgeries) have some sort of unresolved complication at six months postop, with about 0.5% requiring extensive management or invasive treatment. See Odds I'll See 20/20 After Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby MASK » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:21 am

Thanks Glenn. Sorry about violating the rules. Do you think my ANA test being positive or the possibility of autoimmune is a problem?

The ANA test was positive, but they tested further and nothing came back. Do you think its a major concern?
MASK

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:16 am

A compromised autoimmune system is always a cause for concern with any elective surgery, however false positives occur all the time.If you have no autoimmune disorder history, the negative tests appear to be accurate.

You can always delay your surgery. There is nothing that requries you to do it now. Take more tests if you need that peace of mind.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It