Will lasek work for me ?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Will lasek work for me ?

Postby huntertoney » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi. In my left eye I was born with my retina not fully developed. All my life I have been told there wasnt anything anyone could do to really help my situation. Glasses are barely an upgrade for that eye but do help my strong eye quite a bit. Would lasik or any other surgery fix my bad eye? Also even if not could I get it done on just my good eye to see better overall? Thanks in advance for any information you may provide.
huntertoney

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:52 pm

The most Lasik can do is provide the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses. It is unreasonable to expect your vision after Lasik to be better than your vision before Lasik with glasses.

To attain the convenience of that reduced need for glasses will require some risk. Lasik is surgery and there is no such thing as perfect surgery, a perfect surgeon, or a perfect patient. Since your functional vision is with only one eye, Lasik would be putting all the risk (no matter how small) on your functional vision. There are surgeons who will provide Lasik for people with only one functioning eye, but bear in mind the consequences of a possible (albeit unlikely) bad outcome.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It