Is enhancement more risky than initial Lasik?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Is enhancement more risky than initial Lasik?

Postby Mike C » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:17 pm

I was just at my 7 month checkup. My left eye is 20/20 with no hint of prescription or astigmatism. The right eye has both astigmatism and prescription. The doctor and I briefly discussed enhancement. He told me it was riskier the second time around. I have an appointment in a month to recheck the vision in my right eye. What is different with an enhancement that is higher risk than the initial Lasik? He mentioned something about the cornea as a possible complication.
Mike C

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 pm

There are both advantages and disadvantages in Lasik enhancement surgery. The Lasik flap will be lifted, so a new flap does not need to be cut. The surgeon now knows how your cornea responds to the laser energy, so accuracy of correction can be a bit better.

There is a much greater chance of epithelial ingrowth after Lasik enhancement surgery than with initial surgery, although the probability is still relatively low. Epithelial ingrowth is a relatively benign complication that can resolve on its own or may require a flap lift to remove the cells. Follow the link for details.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mike C » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:23 am

So basically the risk of complications from enhancement should not deter me from having the surgery? Is epithelial ingrowth something that should be picked up during a post op check-up?
Mike C

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:10 am

Epithelial ingrowth is normally easily observed during an eye exam. Damage from epithelial ingrowth is late in starting and progresses slowly, so there is commonly much time (weeks, months) of monitoring before a flap lift would be required. Some doctors like to respond earlier rather than later, but epithelial ingrowth is not an emergency situation.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mike C » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:06 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and update this board on my progress if I have the enhancement. Thanks for a valuable resource.
Mike C

Return to Had It A While Ago