Change in vision after 2 weeks

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Change in vision after 2 weeks

Postby firemom » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 pm

Had Intra-Lasik on July 12th, morning after appt, vision was 20/25 in both eyes. I was so excited as my rx was (Left +1.75 -3.25x25) (Right +3.75 -6.25x180) Prior to surgery w/o contacts or glasses, I was 20/50 in Left, and 20/400 in the right. Of course I was excited at 20/25 the next day. Things went well for about 2 weeks, and then I noticed my right eye not as good. Went back to Dr. vision had droped to 20/40, was told it should improve, everything from surgery still looked great. Said my eyes were dry to use tears lots, and should improve. That was 2 weeks ago, it's still the same. This distance is where the problem is up close is still great. My 4 week appt is Tomorrow, I'm wondering what they will say or do. Has anyone ever had their vision stay gone this long and come back w/o additional treatments? I did have dry eyes prior to the surgery.
firemom

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:23 pm

You were hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) before surgery. From your description you are now a little myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted). This is actually probably a good situation.

It is very common to experience Lasik regression after hyperopic Lasik. In anticipation of the expected regression, surgeons often will deliberately overcorrect a Lasik patient from hyperopia into myopia, allowing regression to bring the patient back to plano (no refractive error).

If you are at or over age 40, the natural lens within your eye is less able to change focus to see near objects. This is called presbyopia and is when reading glasses or bifocals become necessary. There are two ways to describe myopia. One is that you cannot see things far away very well. The other is that you can see things close very well. Being a little myopic after age 40 means you rely less on reading glasses. Monovision is a variation of this technique.

It is common for people who are under age 40 and hyperopic to "focus around" the hyperopia. The eyes are always in a state of focusing and in a range to correct the hyperopia. After Lasik the eyes don't need to focus in the same way. This can sometimes require an adjustment period while the eyes become accustomed to the new range of vision. This change can sometimes cause Lasik eye strain with vision fluctuations, focus problems, headaches, and even nausea.

When you become presbyopic (past about age 40), it is more difficult or impossible to focus around the hyperopia.

Lasik can exacerbate pre-existing dry eyes. Lasik dry eyes can cause corneal edema (inflammation) that can induce myopia. Poor quality vision is often related to dry eyes. You may want to read our article about dry eye treatment.

Treatment for naturally occurring dry eyes would likely be covered by your major medical insurance.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

4 Month's out and confused

Postby firemom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:27 pm

I went in for an enhancement on the right eye as it is still 20/40 most of the fime. when they were doing the refractive error, they got 3 different rx's within 1 hour when checking my vision. The comment was made I could give you 15 different rx's and get you 20/20. We did not do any surgery. I am to go back in a week for a vision check and if stable be put back on surgery list. My question is what is a week going to do if I am bouncing around that much. Is it possible that my vision will correct back to the 20/25 I had the day after surgery on its on at this point 4 month's out. I don't really see any point in going back in a week, but I will because I do not understand what is happening. So confused.......
firemom

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:42 pm

A change of 0.25 diopter of refractive error is within the normal fluctuation of human vision, but even that much is a concern when it bounces around in a very short time. You do need to wait until your vision is stable before having additional surgery.

What they believe is the cause of the fluctuation?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Confused

Postby firemom » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:19 pm

They do not tell me anything about what they feel is the cause of the flucation. I'm going to one on the best in the Country per what everyone and all info states. I'm on Hydro eye, a total bod vitiman, restesas, and flaxseed oil (the liquid). So ready for this to be over. But I do know there is no way they can correct anything when I change that much. All he said to me was 3 diff rx's in an hour, and that he could do 15 different rx's and get me 20/20. not sure what that means.
firemom

Return to Just Had It