I snorkeld!

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

I snorkeld!

Postby lvziggy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Just got back from Hawaii last week. My husband and I have gone to Hawaii for a week for 3 years now, but it was only this year that I was finally able to snorkel since I had PRK in March. The first 2 years in Hawaii I wouldn't even try snorkeling since my eyes were soooo bad (-6.5 and -7). My friends said I could snorkel with contacts, but I didn't want to chance it since I had to wear very expensive toric lenses (due to astigmatism) and didn't want to risk losing them. Plus, if I had lost them while out in the water I wouldn't have been able to see squat, probably couldn't even tell which way the shore was! That was a good call since I ended up getting lots of seawater in my eyes and rubbing them a lot. (I know, not supposed to rub your eyes, but dang that saltwater can burn!)

But it was wonderful to finally be able to go snorkeling and see all of the colorful fishes and coral! I'm so glad I finally got up the nerve to have the surgery done! It's opened up a whole new world for me! I definitely recommend the surgery (with the right surgeon). I just wish I would have done it sooner!

~Alison
lvziggy

congrats!!

Postby amym » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:41 pm

Aren't those fish amazing!? I actually DID lose a contact in Hanauma Bay so it's not a silly thing to worry about, but I used to keep extra disposeable lenses so I didn't have to worry about it. I constantly lost lenses, that was one of the reasons I went for Lasik. Glad you are doing well!
Amy
amym

Postby Remander » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:49 am

Cool! It is the experiences like yours (that many take for granted) that make LASIK so worth it.

Bit of irony: I was happy to be rid of expensive glasses, but then I bought Maui Jim sunglasses that cost over $200.

But they are cool, and I don't have to wear them all the time. LOL!
Remander

Postby lvziggy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:43 pm

a - thanks for letting me know I wasn't depriving myself for no good reason!

r - I'm just the opposite. Now that I can wear any ole' sunglasses I've bought a bunch of cheapos so that I have different ones for different outfits!

~Alison
lvziggy

Return to Had It A While Ago