mild dry eye and prk

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

mild dry eye and prk

Postby cesko80 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:38 am

Around the beginning of August (2/8) I've done the pre-surgery and my schirmer test result is about 7 for the right eye and 10 for the left, I know that's "border line" and my lacrimation could not be definied as "good". My corneal thickness is not a problem, its' enought.

My doctor told me I'm a good candidate.

Now, I'm not wearing contacts among 15 days and I notice a slight improvement in my lacrimation, I quit usig contacts because my right eye didn't tolerate them anymore.

Should I wait some month before fixing the date for the surgery? Is my right eye too dry or just needs any extra-attention...?

I'm thinking about asking the doctor not to insert the protective lens, I read that with PRK that's not mandatory, I'm a bit afraid of keeping a contact lens too long on my right eye.
cesko80

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:47 pm

The protective bandage contact lens is almost a requirement for the first few days after PRK. The cornea needs protection until the epithelium has recovered the treatment area.

I agree that you should delay surgery until the dry eye issue is stabilized. You may want to read about PRK and Dry Eye and follow the links about dry eye treatment. If you resolve your dry eye problems, your refractive error may change. It is best to have a very stable refractive error before having surgery to change it.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It