Glare and Halos 1 year post LASIK

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Glare and Halos 1 year post LASIK

Postby 82279 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:03 pm

I had custom wavefront lasik Nov 2nd 2006. I just went to my regular eye dr. and she said my vision is 20/20 and my astigmatism is gone (I didn't have a real high prescription to begin with) she said my corneas looked excellent. So I am happy, but recently I noticed that I have some glare and halos, also starbursts. Night time obviously with bright headlights and streetlights, but I have also noticed that in dim rooms I have some glare and if somebody is standing in front of the lightsource I can't see their face.
I am on anti-depressents and I've heard that they can mess with your eyes. Also I don't have large pupils, and my eyes are mildly dry still and I use drops.
I am happy with my outcome I just find the glare annoying, and I'm not sure why I only noticed it about a month ago (probably after I read a lasik horror story on the web)
Thanks for reading!

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:45 pm

If your halo and glare did not exist immediately after Lasik but presented one year later, then it is likely that the cause is one of two issues: change in refractive error, change in environmental conditions.

Although the changes effected by Lasik are permanent, your eyes will continue to change after surgery at the same rate they would have changed without Lasik. It is possible that you have new - but minor - refractive error. A manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) will determine if you have a refractive error.

The environmental conditions that can cause vision disturbances are many. You have mentioned two with dry eye and anti-depression medication. Another that may apply if you are female is pregnancy or menopausal changes.

Ask your eye doctor if the use of Alphagan P would be appropriate. This is a glaucoma medication that has the side effect of slightly reducing the size of your naturally dilated pupils. If this resolves the low light vision problems, then something has caused your pupils to become larger than normal. Discuss the possibilities with your general physician.

BTW: Be sure you use only preservative-free artificial tears. The preservatives in some artificial tears can cause eye irritation and even exacerbate dry eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:31 pm

Wouldn't widening the treatment zone with an enhancement be another option?
If that is done what is the difference doing it with lasik (lifting the flap) vs PRK (lasering the top of the flap vs lasik underneath)
Is one better than the other?
If the halos, glare or starbursting don't go away with glasses or contacts then doesn't enhancement seem to make most sense if that is something the individual wants to do (get rid of halos, starbursts, etc in aditon to refractive error)?
Thanks
DryEye

Postby 82279 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:42 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I really want to avoid any enhancement and am willing to just deal with the glare and halos if they don't seem to go away.
I did just have a manifest refraction test at my yearly eye exam and it showed no refractive error.
Also thank you for mentioning about the eye drops, I had switched to the regular ones but went back to preservative free when I noticed the glare and halos hoping that would help, but they're still there.

Postby sere1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:55 pm

I, too, just started having issues with glare. I was debating whether or not to post about it when I saw your topic.

I'm almost 7 months post-LASIK. My eyes seem to have gotten dryer, as well as having the glare issue. I was down to one use of tears before bed, and even that wasn't always needed; now it's two or three uses during the day. Not much, but it's not supposed to head in that direction. I had some glare immediately after the LASIK; possibly I didn't notice the extent because I haven't done much driving after dark prior to now. But traffic lights especially seem worse--just a smear, where normally everything during the day is crisp.

My eyes have been getting progressively more sensitive to light in the last three years; looking into bright lights (car headlights, or, as "8" posted above, a person blocking the light source) can blind me a bit, and I always drive (except at night) with sunglasses on, and usually walk around outside with them.

I notice the glare at night and in dimly lit rooms (powerpoint presentations are usually ok; today was a bad one). It's horrible when driving on certain roads, but not others. I came home a month ago after dark during a thunderstorm, and I was about to give up night driving for good. I hate to say it, but seeing a three-car accident right outside my apartment building showed me that I wasn't the only one having problems! It's not as bad when it's not raining, but I still can't see the center line when underneath streetlamps.

I haven't had a vision test, but I'm normally sensitive to vision changes. My left eye occasionally fades when tired), and sleep, not drops, is really the only thing to bring it back. Not the right very much, oddly.

Can this be entirely caused by dry eye? I would say the weather changing might have affected my eyes, but I have yet to turn the heat on in my apartment, and it just got cold a week ago, whereas this has been going on since early September.

I guess the point of my post is that you're not the only one. I hope our glare issues resolve themselves, but I have no idea if anything can be done.
sere1

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:32 am

sere1 wrote:Can this be entirely caused by dry eye?

Absolutely, especially if you are very aware of even small changes in your vision quality.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby 82279 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:24 pm

sere 1
I wanted to try to send you a private message to learn more about your issues, because they are pretty much the same as mine, but I guess we can't send private messages. I'm pretty sure we can't post our e-mail address' either :(

Return to Had It A While Ago